Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car did not have a fan shroud when I got it. I think every other 289 63 Galaxie I've seen doesn't have one either. Did they come this way? Why? Maybe because with all the bigass engines going into Galaxies at the time, they didn't think a 289 would cause many overheating problems? Anyway, mine overheats a little, so I put a "3 chrome universal job on there. Probably isn't worth S- because it doesn't seal around the radiator. In fact it's like an inch off the rad.(I used shock absorber bushings as spacers to mount it so it would clear the top tank). Anyway, theres got to be a better solution than this. Is there a factory type shroud I could use?

Thanks.

·
Registered
47 Posts
As far as I can tell dealers installed fan shrouds when the cars had air conditioning. I have looked at a lot of parts cars and only found one with the shroud, it is a 2 piece metal shroud that mounts to the bottom radiator bolts and bolts to the top of the radiator. If you are overheating I would look for the obvious things like a bad thermostat or a partial blockage in the radiator first. If your motor has a fan clutch I would also check its operation.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, this problem has been intermittantly creeping up on me every so often. Tested the T-stat, new 2 row radiator, new hoses, stock 4 blade fan, spacer is probably the right one fan is about 1/2 to 3/4 away from rad. Timing is correct. Only thing I haven't tested is the water pump, could be the original one for all I know. How DO you test a water pump?

Seem to be missing, beside a shroud, all the rubber seals that seal the rad to the rad frame. Thought maybe that has something to do with it?
Gonna try the prestone flush and then put some water wetter and water in it this weekend. Any other thoughts?

·
Registered
47 Posts
I seriously doubt your water pump is the culprit. You might check your temp gauge or the sending unit, maybe its starting to give false readings. My 352 has a 6 bladed fan on it but I don't think air flow is your problem. A coolant recovery kit couldn't hurt any unless you are a concourse correct show car. If the temp sending unit and the gauge is ok then I would recommend a flush of the system and new thermostat, just because its new doesn't necessarily mean its any good...

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, yeah the gauge and sending unit are new also. I'll flush the rad, replace the T-stat. Cruises nicely at 180 then in traffic yesterday it went up to 225. It did fine in the winter, but we've been having 90 degree weather lately and now it's been acting up. I was thinking of trying a 5 or 7 bladed fan from a 70's 302/351, but I noticed that the blades are kinda off center. Is this for a reason, balancing or something? Would I still be able to use one?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Since you mentioned thermostat, when I recently installed that new one, I noticed when I bolted back on the waterneck, I could stick my finger and rattle it a bit. Didn't seem to be seated real tight. Think that matters?

·
Registered
190 Posts
In order for your fan shroud to be effective, it must be mounted flush with the radiator, otherwise it is acts just like a fan would w/o a fan shroud. I've dealt with making custom fan shrouds on 4x4 trucks before (a buddy mounted his radiator in the bed of his mud truck), and the temps definitely were more stable when the shrouds were flush with the radiator.

I would start by investigating new mounting solutions for your shroud. However, if the other Galaxies of your era run fine without them, I thinkt he fan shroud may just be a band-aid to a larger problem (water pump, thermostat, old radiator, etc).

Good luck.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i have a t-bird and I had the exact problem, After everything in the cooling system checked out ok i had only two choices left, in order to stop the overheating problem:

1) Install an electric fan
2) Find and correctly install the fan shroud..

Without a doubt, not having a fan shroud can increas the likelihood of overheating, especially in warm climate environments where the water will surely boil within about 10 mins

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
My 94 TBird started overheating. Changed the thermo, no help.

One mechanic said that the head gasket must have blown.

Bottom line, it was the water pump. The vanes had literally rusted away. All that was left was a spinning flat disk.

Changed the pump, and all is well.

Don't know if the same thing could happen to our older cars due to different material.

(Then the damn trans had to be rebuilt $%#$#%#$#$$

again!)

·
Registered
133 Posts
So if you have not replaced the water pump, I would go ahead and do that. Electric fan should help a whole lot. I do not know if many would recommend this but have you tried running it without thermostat to see if you get a different end result? (gasket only cost 60 cents)

·
Premium Member
1,867 Posts
Since you mentioned thermostat, when I recently installed that new one, I noticed when I bolted back on the waterneck, I could stick my finger and rattle it a bit. Didn't seem to be seated real tight. Think that matters?

You have the wrong thermostat go back and ask for the larger one. when I built my 390 I ran into the two different size theromstat problem a good parts store will know what you are looking for. Keith

1 - 12 of 12 Posts