Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A Real kick to the stones last night
First the started I bought doesn't engage the flywheel it just spins and to top things off the pitman arm hits a header pipe no left turn talk about feeling totally devastated, guess I be a spectator walking around like a Zombie

·
Premium Member
594 Posts
Been there. PowerMaster was very good when a similar issue occurred with my starter. I worked with customer service and they sent me a different model for free.

I've also had a custom exhaust contact the shift lever on my automatic transmission. The installer fixed that for free too.

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Used my original 289 starter, bought a mini starter cause of clearance issues with my original headers but the long tube headers have lots of room, ran it for about 30 seconds would love to post the video but don't know how

Its in YouTube labeled. " First Start 66 Ford Galaxie 500"

·
Registered
263 Posts
This may not be the problem your having.
I was looking at mini starters last month when I thought I had a starter issue. I saw some of them did not use the Ford relay on the fender and were wired straight from the battery to the big lug and a #12 wire from the ignition switch to the solenoid on the starter itself to starter motor and engage the drive into the flywheel. With that type of starter if I came off the original Ford solenoid with the one large wire to the starter and did not use a seperate wire to trigger the engage solenoid on the starter it would only spin as you described. Just a thought to help you troubleshoot.

Used my original 289 starter, bought a mini starter cause of clearance issues with my original headers but the long tube headers have lots of room, ran it for about 30 seconds would love to post the video but don't know how

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
like k4apy said...

top illustration ford oem direct drive starter
and if wired like that, mini starter will only spin up and not engage
since solenoid on starter is not activated to engage gear...

bottom mini starter..
basically with mini, you have constant 12 volt battery lead to starter..
like in picture it utilizes fender solenoid to activate solenoid on starter..
technically you can simplify things and eliminate fender solenoid and run starting/cranking wire directly solenoid on starter, like a GM style starter

·
Premium Member
594 Posts

Just cut and paste the link to your youtube video. The board software will do the rest. Like this:

·
Super Moderator
21,605 Posts
my66, i thought of you when i was down there watching cars drive by saturday night. Wonder if you or Jozy/jerry was out there running around. I left for home round 10ish cause it was really boring this year, not at many cruising. So sad.

Sorry you didn't make it! I was in the same place as last year sorta, was across the street at the chevron. Maybe next year, hope you get it all straightened out!

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I saw a black 65/66 like mine painted flat black he was cruising thru the fairgrounds he never was parked that I saw, there was over 2700 cars this year a lot to look and not one 66 Galaxie 500 Fastback lots of 65 and 67. And a ton of Fairlanes lots of 63-64 1/2 Galaxies also, I didn't leave the grounds and go outside, tooo hot, stayed with my buddy's 29 ford Coupe

·
Super Moderator
21,605 Posts
It was hot for sure. Wasn't really that bad out in the evening though. You didn't happen to see the odd colored '64, not sure if they said it was convertible or not but a seafoam greyish silver color with big wheels. I had 3 people say they saw it only once driving on the street but not one of them got a picture. I was with a friend with primer black '67 fairlane convertible. I didn't ever go inside the show although a couple friends were going to give me passes. Too hot to wander round there!

I'm going to the lucky eagle show by olympia saturday. Never been there, thought i'd see some dif cars.

I'm going to

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We'll here she is in all her glory, she is up and running and sounds nice, at the moment the header tube is getting rewelded to get full travel of the pitman arm

Attachments

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's not very pretty but who's gunna look at anyway
And works like it's supposed to

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Whoo Whoo unless I'm in a casket or the ER I'll be there this year, New Drive Train working like a champ, New radiator cooling so far no issues. even got new 2.5 in exhaust with an H-pipe

·
Super Moderator
21,605 Posts
Glad to hear!! I don't think i'll even be spectating this year, unless maybe outside on the street in the evening so might see ya. I'm just too cheap to enter lol

1 - 16 of 16 Posts