Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 67 galaxie, with a 390 engine. Last fall the heater would heat you out of the car. Now, the heat is warm at best. I have changed the radiator, heater core and put in a new 190F thermostat. It's STILL ONLY warm. What am I missing? The only other thing I can think of is the coolant is primarily water as I keep changing parts. Its not a 50/50 mix as it usually is. Is this my problem?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
You may have a air pocket in heater core. How do you the heater hoses hooked up?

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Did or does it have factory A/C?
If so make sure the hot water shutoff is opening..If that checks out then try feeling both heater hoses to see if they are equally hot..If not you probably have an air pocket in the heater core or at least something restricting the flow..

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
A good way to remove an air pocket, is run the car up on ramps and idle it with the radiator cap off. It's going to get hot and spew water/coolant all over, but keep an eye on the temp and keep adding water or coolant and it'll "burp" out the air. By putting the front of the car up, the air will work its way to the highest point and TA DA!

·
Premium Member
5,597 Posts
If you have the water hose from the intake go straight to the core and the restriction (the water valve) is on the way back to the water pump, you will blow out the core, when you go WOT, see MY pic. Needs to be the other way around.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,868 Posts
Make sure your thermostat is working or that it is the right size. I know that there is a large thermostat on my 390 and the small one let water bypass it.

·
Premium Member
1,043 Posts
Forgot that one, there was a change in april 1967, think it was change level 7 ? from large to small T-stat. Have taken apart more than 1 67 and found small T-stat laying inside of intake.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Just a thought... I Know... I Know... :rolleyes:

Proper routing of the heater hoses is manifold (behind thermostat) to heater core. If hot water control valve, to this first as you don't want hot water (convection) in the core during summer. The return hose goes to the pump.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
The only other thing I can think of is the coolant is primarily water as I keep changing parts. Its not a 50/50 mix as it usually is. Is this my problem?

Thanks
No. Actually water (distilled) dissipates heat better than a coolant mixture but then you have corrosion problems.

·
Premium Member
5,597 Posts
That's probably because you always route your hoses correctly:mad:. I say it was due to pump pressure but that's only because I don't know what else it could have been.
I wonder tthough, if your car does not have a water valve or something to restrict pressure are you supposed to run a 5/8" hose into the heater and a 3/4 one out?

Finally I agree with 5851a, I think the 67 intake takes the large thermostat and those are hard to find.

·
Premium Member
509 Posts
Finally I agree with 5851a, I think the 67 intake takes the large thermostat and those are hard to find.
Got one @ NAPA no problem. Just told them I needed the larger style and they had it on the shelf with the gasket. PO had the small version in there and just the gasket was holding it in place.

·
Premium Member
5,597 Posts
I broke an ear off my housing and Autozone only had the small one and the matching small thermostat. To keep the thermostat from falling into the intake I gobbed some JB weld around the hole. Ain't pretty but...

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for all the suggestions and replies. Based on reading your advice, I tracked, traced and checked everything. Frdnut mentioned making sure the hot water shutoff was opening...BINGO. I checked...the cable had become disconnected under the dash and was not operating properly. One quick fix of inserting a larger screw into the cable bracket, holding the cable in place..and my legs were burning from the heat of 195F t stat doing its job.

Thanks guys.... This weekend it's replacing the main rear seal and exhaust manifold gaskets....

·
Premium Member
5,597 Posts
Yeah congrats on getting it fixed. I think Frdnutt was just lucky on this one, he never seemd that smart to me...

·
Premium Member
3,637 Posts
Yeah congrats on getting it fixed. I think Frdnutt was just lucky on this one, he never seemd that smart to me...
Not nice ... Putts :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts