Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a dreaded problem with the instrument cluster lights (speedo, tach, oil pressure, temp, volt) on my 73 mustang. Turn signal indicators work as does the high beam (red mustang) indicator. Map light, door open lights, stereo, heater all work. I have replaced the headlight/dimmer switch with no success as well as all the bulbs in the cluster and 4 amp fuse. I would order the printed circuit board replacement if the signals and high beam indicator were not working as well but its a pricey guess. Any thoughts were to look next?

·
Premium Member
1,040 Posts
Pull the cluster and check the illumination wire at the plug in on the circut board, make sure the ground is good also. You can also check to make sure the plastic isn't crumbling around the light sockets.

·
Registered
184 Posts
The signals and high beam indicator work because they are fed power by a different circuit than your dash lights. The best way to diagnose is to use a volt meter on each dash lite to see if any are getting power. They ground to the instrument housing, so if thats not grounded, it could be a problem. The turn lights are grounded thru a internal wire, not the dash housing. Also, follow the Blue/red wires (dash lights) from each bulb to see if the "father" feeder wire is maybe melted or burned and making contact with a metal part inside the dash somewhere. I hate electrical for this reason, it can be a real headache if youve never worked on it before. Good luck!

·
Registered
37 Posts
I am having the same problem with my 68 torino. non of the dash lights work or the aftermarket gauges I have in the car. The gauges themselves work but no lights but the rest of the interior lights work fine.

Joe

·
Premium Member
5,574 Posts
The signals and high beam indicator work because they are fed power by a different circuit than your dash lights. The best way to diagnose is to use a volt meter on each dash lite to see if any are getting power. They ground to the instrument housing, so if thats not grounded, it could be a problem. The turn lights are grounded thru a internal wire, not the dash housing. Also, follow the Blue/red wires (dash lights) from each bulb to see if the "father" feeder wire is maybe melted or burned and making contact with a metal part inside the dash somewhere. I hate electrical for this reason, it can be a real headache if youve never worked on it before. Good luck!
This sounds like pretty good advice. As a test maybe ground the inst panel and be sure it is grounded and try the lihghts.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts