Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Valve train noise lead to oil pump change. with new pump pre-oiled with drill technique, oil pressure builds to 15 psi., installed distributor and started eng to find no oil pressure on direct reading gage. measured all dimensions of distributor to pump shaft, all perfect. only differance is with eng. running vs drill pre-oil is rotating assy moving, any ideas as to why the differance and what damage can I expect? Thanks in advance.

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
Valve train noise lead to oil pump change. with new pump pre-oiled with drill technique, oil pressure builds to 15 psi., installed distributor and started eng to find no oil pressure on direct reading gage. measured all dimensions of distributor to pump shaft, all perfect. only differance is with eng. running vs drill pre-oil is rotating assy moving, any ideas as to why the differance and what damage can I expect? Thanks in advance.
check the hex drive in the dist shaft or the hex shaft is in the bottom of pan

·
Registered
10,327 Posts
If you are positive the shaft engages 1/2" when it is actually installed. Confirm by putting a loose wad of aluminum foil in the dist shaft, install, and pull to see how deep it's engaging. If that's good, another common issue with some oil pickup designs is when it's too close to the pan bottom. With the drill, oil can get in, but when spun hard and fast by the engine the pickup sucks right to the bottom of the pan.

With only 15 psi on the drill, it sounds like you either have a weak drill motor, or it's too close to the bottom. My cheap 1/2" drill motor will make 45+ psi on typical builds. Before pulling the pan, I would get a more powerful drill motor and try again. If the problem is a low pickup, the stronger drill will make less pressure as it sucks the pickup to the bottom.

David

Here I am checking the oil pickup clearance during a build with a blob of clay:

Place the pan over with no gasket. With the gasket added on final assembly, this will give sufficient clearance:

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
What type of engine is it?..If its a windsor make sure the plug is in place at the rear of the block under the intake.You could also check the plugs at the front and rear of the block...15 lbs is pretty low.

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
If you are positive the shaft engages 1/2" when it is actually installed. Confirm by putting a loose wad of aluminum foil in the dist shaft, install, and pull to see how deep it's engaging. If that's good, another common issue with some oil pickup designs is when it's too close to the pan bottom. With the drill, oil can get in, but when spun hard and fast by the engine the pickup sucks right to the bottom of the pan.

With only 15 psi on the drill, it sounds like you either have a weak drill motor, or it's too close to the bottom. My cheap 1/2" drill motor will make 45+ psi on typical builds. Before pulling the pan, I would get a more powerful drill motor and try again. If the problem is a low pickup, the stronger drill will make less pressure as it sucks the pickup to the bottom.

David

Here I am checking the oil pickup clearance during a build with a blob of clay:

Place the pan over with no gasket. With the gasket added on final assembly, this will give sufficient clearance:
"sucks the pickup to the bottom !!! that is one strong sucker .

lets see an idel of 1000 rpm , half of that is 500 rpm .

op must have a drill that turns 2 rpm

·
Registered
27 Posts
pressure is leaking by somewhere... valvetrain noise was from somthing else other than oil pump i bet.... drill should make 40-50- psi ... sometimes with a drill you can take a stethoscope and hear the big internal leak... cam bearing,,, plug fell out in front behind timing chain... .020 mains with .010 bearings ect...

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
FRDNUT & CWEISSER were right on, pulled eng for tear down, found one of the three oil plugs behind timing gear missing. found it in the cam gear of timing set. replaced plug and pre-oiled with drill, 50 lbs. press immed.
clayed pump pick-up to pan, 3/8" from bottom of pan. inspected #4 main brg. found no damage along with farthest rod bearing from pump. glad it had double roller chain.(replaced)
Thanks to everyone interested enough to offer advise. will try to include pics of gear with plug wedged in it next post.

302 +.020
dart pro 1
Pro M 75MM MAF
24 lbs. inj.
Eagle rods
SRP pistons
Lunati 61010 .541 in./.549 ex.
Long tube headers
Ford ecu minus emissions

1 - 11 of 11 Posts