Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1996 F250 with a 460/Automatic combo.
OBDII California truck.
When I'm running off of the front tank and I step on it to pass, it just bogs down. If I slowly get into it it seems fine but when I punch it, it just won't go. When I'm running off of the rear tank, it's all good.
Are there seperate pumps and/or filters for each tank? Could it be a TPS?
I'm stumped!
Any direction you all could point me would be appreciated!
Thanx, Mike

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
There is a separate fuel pump in each tank bro... Likely there is a switchbox issue or a weak pump...

FE

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanx for the heads up about the pumps. I'll bet it's buried in the tank huh? That would be my luck!
When you say "switch box" issue, do you mean the switch that is used when it is switched from one tank to the other?
I'm not clear on how that would affect performance under load.
If the pump is weak, wouldn't overall performance be poor when running off of that pump?

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
Im not familiar with the 96 box, but in 88 when they went bad, they would allow fuel to be pumped from one tank to the other, effectively lowering your fuel volume. The 88 style box was horrendously prone to failure, I imagine improvements came in at a later date, but it could still potentially be a problem.

As for a weak pump affecting performance, it'll only affect performance above the point at which the fuel pump cannot keep up with demand. Namely, at WOT you need every drop of fuel that pump can move. but slowly creeping up to speed, you may only need a third of that or less.

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanx Guys!!
Sounds like a weak pump to me.
I'll get it looked at and post my findings.
All the best, Mike

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
The switch box I'm talking about is mounted on the frame just under the seam between the cab and the bed on the drivers side. (or should be...)
The lift pump will be behind the left front tire mounted on the frame, if it has one...

FE

P.S. I can't recall if you 96 would have a pair or not but, check just in case, and if you have 2 fuel filters change them both and drive it again...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts