Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok. I got a 67 ranchero 289. This gem been sitting in my aunts garage since 1987. So I'm trying to get it to crank up. I changed the 12v coil, the distributor cap, the wires, and the plugs. I poured a little bit of gas in the carburetor and gave it a try. It will turn over but not crank. I pulled the center wire off the distributor cap (the wire coming from the coil), left it close to where I pulled it off, and tried to crank and I don't see any spark. And that is about the extent of my knowledge. Today I'm gonna go ahead and drop the gas tank and empty it while I wait for someone to reply back to this post hopefully with some good advice. Where do I try from here.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Pull an easy sparkplug too. I usually like to pull all of them and oil her up first but you have already cranked it so...

i am going to guess that the breaker points needs cleaning/adjusting.
Points adjustment is just normal maintenance on these. Condensors can fail with time also. Points get rusty or dirty from sitting.

IDK why, but I always had luck cleaning them with a dollar bill. Just put it between the points when closed and slide it back and forth. It would probably work with any paper but currency is a little stronger?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i am going to guess that the breaker points needs cleaning/adjusting.
ok i adjusted the points and cleaned them and sure enough it cranked. i guess i wont know if it is totally right until i get the tank cleaned. Speaking of the gas tank, this thing hasn't been cranked since 1987. Yall think i should just go ahead and purchase a new tank for it, and if so, where would i be able to find a tank for this car.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pull an easy sparkplug too. I usually like to pull all of them and oil her up first but you have already cranked it so...

Points adjustment is just normal maintenance on these. Condensors can fail with time also. Points get rusty or dirty from sitting.

IDK why, but I always had luck cleaning them with a dollar bill. Just put it between the points when closed and slide it back and forth. It would probably work with any paper but currency is a little stronger?
I changed all the spark plugs so far.

·
Subscriber
940 Posts
i did a quick search but couldn't find a tank for much less than $300.
if that's not in your budget, you can seal the existing tank using the following steps:

take it to your local radiator shop.
have them boil it.
make sure to tell them to NOT put ATF inside afterwards (they usually do this to prevent flash rusting).
seal it with a quart of POR-15's "US Standard Tank Sealer".

i've done this several times with zero problems. all the horror stories you hear about sealants are caused by a lack of proper prep.
all total, should cost you about $150 including the radiator shop.

·
Registered
259 Posts
ok i adjusted the points and cleaned them and sure enough it cranked. i guess i wont know if it is totally right until i get the tank cleaned. Speaking of the gas tank, this thing hasn't been cranked since 1987. Yall think i should just go ahead and purchase a new tank for it, and if so, where would i be able to find a tank for this car.
Did you determine the tank is rusty? Just saying mine is almost 60 years old, spent quite a few sitting, and had very little rust. Drain it out and get a look first and you might be lucky.

Never used POR-15 but I have done scores of bikes and I avoid sealers of all kinds. Maybe the new stuff is better but ethanol used to eat the other stuff. Looks like POR is OK for alcohol so it should work.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i did a quick search but couldn't find a tank for much less than $300.
if that's not in your budget, you can seal the existing tank using the following steps:

take it to your local radiator shop.
have them boil it.
make sure to tell them to NOT put ATF inside afterwards (they usually do this to prevent flash rusting).
seal it with a quart of POR-15's "US Standard Tank Sealer".

i've done this several times with zero problems. all the horror stories you hear about sealants are caused by a lack of proper prep.
all total, should cost you about $150 including the radiator shop.
Yea I think I would rather invest in a new tank but have not been successful in finding the time. Where did you see the tank for $300.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Did you determine the tank is rusty? Just saying mine is almost 60 years old, spent quite a few sitting, and had very little rust. Drain it out and get a look first and you might be lucky.

Never used POR-15 but I have done scores of bikes and I avoid sealers of all kinds. Maybe the new stuff is better but ethanol used to eat the other stuff. Looks like POR is OK for alcohol so it should work.
I’m gonna replace the tank. Although I consider myself to have good mechanical reasoning, I’m not your everyday mechanic on a vehicle. So just replacing the tank hopefully will eliminate any future problems with rust. What else do you think I should look at replacing when it comes to the fuel system?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Thanks. The car on my profile is the one that I’m working on. I don’t guess there is a difference in the gas tanks that say “Fastback” or “Hardtop/Sedan”?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Thanks. The car on my profile is the one that I’m working on. I don’t guess there is a difference in the gas tanks that say “Fastback” or “Hardtop/Sedan”?
I'm 99.9% sure that the Ranchero/Station wagon tank is different than the hardtop/sedan/fastback tank, if I'm reading correctly.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts