Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
after i aquired my galaxie, i wanted to just turn the engine over not start, i can turn the engine over with a socket and wrench, but when i hook a battery up to it nothing lights work, but when i turn the key nothing, so i went to the solenoid to try to jump it nothing no click nothing at all just a small puff of smoke from the battery post.. any ideas on what i can do..

·
Registered
203 Posts
after i aquired my galaxie, i wanted to just turn the engine over not start, i can turn the engine over with a socket and wrench, but when i hook a battery up to it nothing lights work, but when i turn the key nothing, so i went to the solenoid to try to jump it nothing no click nothing at all just a small puff of smoke from the battery post.. any ideas on what i can do..
Sounds like a dead starter to me.

·
Registered
287 Posts
That little puff of smoke could mean you should clean the battery posts. Check to see if they are loose, take them off the post, clean them with a wire brush on the inside then make sure they are tight. Charge the battery if it's low.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
cool i'll pick one up thanks.
Woah, hold the phone. Try a few other things first, the starter is a BEECH to change. First check out your connections. Good at the starter, good at the battery ground?

Next clamp a vice grips to the + battery terminal. Detach the starter wire from the relay and touch it to the vice grips. If you have a working starter and battery, it should turn over, at least.

BTW what year and what engine galaxie?

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Why would you buy a car not even knowing the year of it?

Never mind, I can guess I'd do it to if I was new to cars and it was just cool lookin...

Clean those connections.

FE you done blew the farm when you stated you done went and bought a chebby. How much worse can one get? :frown:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts