Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Still working on getting my 64 Galaxie back on the road. Gotten a lot done in the past few months, but one noise is throwing me for a loop and I'm hoping for some ideas of what to check out.

At idle, whether in gear or park, there is a hollow metallic sound. It sounds just like the fan barely hitting something metal, but it's not the fan. I can increase rpm a little and the sound will increase in speed with the engine. When you bring the rpm up higher the sound goes away.

I've check under the valve covers, all seems normal. Checked around that the exhaust wasn't banging around on something. Checked around the fan. Took the belts off to check it wasn't the PS or generator. Flexplate seems secure to the TC. Fuel pump is pumping normally, though I didn't take it out to see if there was any unusual wear on the arm.

I'm pretty sure the sound isn't coming from the engine itself.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
286 Posts
How about time? My Mercury 260 engine has been sitting in my shop for a year, still wrapped from the machine shop, no time to rebuild it! One of these days. Boy I can’t wait to retire!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Still working on getting my 64 Galaxie back on the road. Gotten a lot done in the past few months, but one noise is throwing me for a loop and I'm hoping for some ideas of what to check out.

At idle, whether in gear or park, there is a hollow metallic sound. It sounds just like the fan barely hitting something metal, but it's not the fan. I can increase rpm a little and the sound will increase in speed with the engine. When you bring the rpm up higher the sound goes away.

I've check under the valve covers, all seems normal. Checked around that the exhaust wasn't banging around on something. Checked around the fan. Took the belts off to check it wasn't the PS or generator. Flexplate seems secure to the TC. Fuel pump is pumping normally, though I didn't take it out to see if there was any unusual wear on the arm.

I'm pretty sure the sound isn't coming from the engine itself.

Thoughts?
Check the heat riser below the exhaust manifold, I had the same problem but found it this morning

1 - 10 of 10 Posts