Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rebuilt an engine for my wife's 1971 AMC Javelin SST with a 360 in it.

Everything is GREAT (never heard an engine sound so good)except I'm getting a slight oil leak from passenger-side head.

An engine shop did the head work - not me.

Any ideas what would cause this?
Incorrectly torqued bolts?
Bad plane job on heads?
Boogered gasket?
Other?

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
What type of head gaskets? If they are MLS like Cometics, then they sometimes push oil out through one of the layers. Usually it is the back or the front of the head where the leak will happen.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: blown68 on 11/4/06 3:56am ]</font>

·
Registered
464 Posts
Try to retorque the the head bolts when it warmed up. Do it one at a time and back the bolts off a 1/4 turn and then rerouque to spec. If you pay close attention you will see the head of the bolt after reorque is not in the same spot meaning the bolt will be torqued down a little furthur. I have had pretty good luck with this.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Are you sure it is the head, and not the rear of the intake manifold gasket? Where the intake sits on the block... The cork part that sits on the block.... If it is seeping, it may appear it is coming from the head.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Yeah, oil will follow the "seam" between head and block down and around and appear to be coming from the middle somewhere.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
On 2006-11-03 15:11, BIGJOE wrote:
DO NOT RE TORQUE when the engine is hot. It MUST be done when cold, at room temp. JOE SHERMAN RACING
I second this
Tim

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That car is stored at my dad's house... he just called me and said he took another look at it and it is NOT oil.
He said it is antifreeze.

Any suggestions/tips now?

We are going to double-check the torque on the head.

Outside of that, it's gotta be either a bad gasket or a cracked head, right?

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
"Any suggestions/tips now?"

Yes, Put a 351 W in your Javelin.... (wink)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts