Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the axle code has my rear end listed as a non locking 3:50. In my limited Ford experience that should mean one black mark on the pavement, right? I took the Gal for a walk and she put down two perfectly executed "except for the heater core blowing up" black strips. Now I know this highly technical test is not with out error, but it left me confused. My GM experience tells me non locking means power to the wheel with the least traction, hence the reason I'd install lockers on my toys. So why did I get a perfect 11 when I took off? Please be gentle with me after all I did convert to the best after trying the rest. I now drive a Ford for work and play.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
440 Posts
jack the back end up and spin one of the tires. if the opp side tire spins IN THE SAME DIRECTION. then you have a locker and someone has swaped out the 3rd member before you bought it

·
Registered
688 Posts
jack the back end up and spin one of the tires. if the opp side tire spins IN THE SAME DIRECTION. then you have a locker and someone has swaped out the 3rd member before you bought it
Not necessarily the spider gears could have locked up I have pulled several from the wreaking yard that both tires spun the same direction and found them to be open third members. I would check the fluid and see what kind of shape it is in.

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've got to pull it anyways. After too much time putting the front back on, it just dumbfounded me. Now I've got to get a heater core installed while that fender is still off.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Jack up one wheel, start it, put it in gear. If it spins it's open, If it drives off of the jack it limited slip.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I had a 3.25 open rear that would leave two black marks if i gave it just enough rpms and dumped the clutch....the shop that pulled it out said everything in the rear is fine, spiders were NOT welded or sticking and they couldnt explain why it would leave two black marks being open.........Thus being said without a visual look you may never know what is inside!

·
Premium Member
5,846 Posts
Now I've got to get a heater core installed while that fender is still off

Jeremy, rig up something to pressure test that core. They have a high rate of failure. Then to be sure the pressure doesn't build up when goosing the 428, put the water valve on the hose coming from the intake.

tom

·
Administrator
21,661 Posts
Jack up one wheel, start it, put it in gear. If it spins it's open, If it drives off of the jack it limited slip.
Like my old one did? LOL Well, guess we didn't make it so it could come off a jack but sure made a nice hole in Gary's driveway.

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Jeremy, rig up something to pressure test that core. They have a high rate of failure. Then to be sure the pressure doesn't build up when goosing the 428, put the water valve on the hose coming from the intake.

tom
Dang it! I got it backwards on the hoses, thanks Tom. As far as pressure test, I think the 428 took care of that, and it failed miserably. I have a new one that'll be here on the 27th. I think my timing is a little off too, gotta figure that one out soon.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts