Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know that this is not the thing that this board deals with but not having any luck anywhere else - have 6.9/7.3 diesels and the glow plugs dont seem to run long enough to get hot enough to start -they have the late style controller and new plugs - but what tells the controlller how long to heat the plugs?? my 458 t/p 70 mach 1 never has any of these problems

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
I'm not gonna' be much help, but I will say that my old man has a 6.9 in a 80 something F-250. His was doing the same thing and he ended up taking it to the mechanic. I wish I could remember what he found out! Is there some sort of relay that could be overheating and kicking the glow plugs off too soon? Good luck.

·
Premium Member
1,737 Posts
How long do they cycle?? If you have glow plugs that aren't working the cycle time is shorter than if all of them are working. Unless you have a turbo diesel they aren't hard to change, just be careful if you have some that are hard to pull out. The tips are notorious for swelling if they've been over cycled and burnt and the only way to get them out if they break is to either pull the head or start it and let the broken tip blow out the exhaust. Of course the engine could be damaged that way but there are people who have done it over on ford-diesel.com. Another tip, only use Beru brand plugs in there, alot of the other brands burn out quick for some reason. If you have any other questions feel free to post it and I'll try and help. Also check out ford-diesel.com, there's alot of diesel specific info over there.

·
Registered
80 Posts
try replacing all the plugs, and check out the harness connectors for damage. also, make sure all of your connections are tight.
we run into this all the time on the older internationals and fords that we have in our fleet, and most of the time, it turns out to be the glow plugs. be thankful you don't have a powerstroke, those glow plugs are under the valve covers.
hope this helps

1 - 4 of 4 Posts