Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I would like to introduce myself as StangNoob and say hello to you all from California. I know very little about Stangs and I would like to get help from you guys with this 1985 stang that I came across. The new proud owner wants me to help her with putting some bolt ons. So, she has asked me to look-up a few mods so the car can have a little more punch. Since she is a chick, this will be simple upgrades while keeping it CA smog legal. I'm researching Intake and Exhaust right now and I haven't found much for the 85.
So my question are....

Which headers will fit the 85? BBK 86 style?
Which X-Pipe or H-Pipe? H-Pipe 86 style?
Which CAI Intake?

Also, I have no idea if this is a 302 V8 5.0. What kinda tranny is this and what gears does it have. I know this may be an odd car to pump up but I'm just trying to see what I'm looking at here. Again, I know nothing about this car and I will be getting a Chiltons or Haynes Manuel soon so I can see what this thing has...until then..please help me out and give me a head start on some info.

Much appreciated,

StangNoob Mike

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: StangNoob on 4/13/04 4:04am ]</font>

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
That car is in no way an "odd car to build up"! An 85 mustang is still the same thing as the 86-93 less the different nose and EFI. If that car is not a 5.0, walk away because you will be beating a dead horse before you know it. If the car is a 5.0 then find out what it has for a trans, if its auto then it will have the AOD, if its a stick it has the T5 which is the coolest way to go, you will have 4 gears to bang down the strip then od for the ride home on the freeway. A far as the headers I dont know if they will fit but I cant see why not??

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
You can use the newer style headers, H/X-pipes and cat-backs if you install a double hump transmission crossmember. This will allow you to install a true dual exhaust just like the 86-up 5.0's used. Pullies would be a good choice as long as it cools and charges well. A free mod that is almost mandatory now is to bump the initial timing up to 12-14*(or as much as it can handle without pinging). If it's a 4bbl 5spd car than the Edlebrock Perf RPM would be a good intake. A cam wouldn't affect emissions too much either as long as it is CARB legal.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts