Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've finally got the new 302 in the car ( with the help of my buddies up at Rodronex in vallejo
) and running after about 4 months of hard work and 45 minute drives to vallejo.

its a 65 fairlane with a new 302 in it. estimated 340 hp

doug thorley headers

fox II mustang water pump pulley

passengers side ( no cutting the shock towers )

only modification is to drop the power steering ram about an inch

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: norcal500 on 11/19/06 6:00am ]</font>

·
Registered
712 Posts
Um, this may be a dumb question, but are you sure your fan is on the right way? Because the flex fan on my car, before I went to a Mark 8 fan, was turned the other way. The engine looks good in there, those headers just BARELY fit in there it looks like.
Chris.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The fan could be in wrong. I couldn't say for sure. The car didn't overheat though.

actually now that I look at it you might be correct about the fan. I'll check it tomorrow.

edelbrock 4bbl 600cfm electric choke
edelbrock performer intake
regular cast iron heads

the cam I'm not sure about. I am still waiting on the build sheet from motor works in washington. I bought this motor from a guy that desperately needed the money and realized it was going to cost him way too much $$$ too stuff this engine in a 72' landcruiser. so he sold me the complete engine ( carb to pan except waterpump and headers ) for $1,400
this is the link to the engine builder :

http://motorworksengines.com/FO50FG1.php

It has a lot of low end power and a wild idle sound to it. This car is a heck of alot faster now. I've been driving it on the easy side just to break it it for the first 800 miles or so. lots of speed up slow down type of stuff. I'll post some video of it running.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: norcal500 on 11/19/06 9:58am ]</font>

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok, so I'll turn the fan around tomorrow. thats why I post pics up for others to critique the work. sometimes it just takes a fresh set of eyes to catch something like that.

G

·
Do you have any more info on those headers? What tube and collector size? Are they the Dougs DDY 662 part number? If so, I can't find a picture of them online. Any links?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Stvrr on 11/22/06 8:54am ]</font>

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
part # DOU-D662Y

summit carries them but you won't find a picture anywhere on the internet. I also forgot to take a pic of them before we put them on.

Product Line: Doug's Headers
Header Material: Steel
Header Finish: Ceramic coated
Header Style: Tri-Y
Primary Tube Diameter (in): 1 5/8 in.
Collector Attachment: 3-bolt flange
Collector Diameter (in): 2.500 in.
Tuned: No
Primary Tube Gauge: 16-gauge
Cylinder Head Port Shape: SAP
Flange Style: Standard
Flange Thickness (in): 3/8 in.
Bolts/Studs Included: Yes
Gaskets Included: Yes
Reducers Included: Yes
Y-Pipe Included: No
Quantity: Sold as a pair.

Headers, Tri-Y, Steel, Ceramic Coated, Ford/Mercury, Fairlane 1962-65, Meteor 1962-63, 221/260/289, Pair

G

·
Are you happy with the quality/fit? I was thinking of the hooker but I'm not sure I want to deal with the changing the plugs issue.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I can say I am very happy with these headers. I bought and tried to install the hooker 6134 with no luck. The hookers were about a 1/2 inch too wide on each side. I returned those and tried the doug's headers. They slid right into place like they were freakin made for my car ( 1965 fairlane sports coupe ) only about less than a centimeter space on either side but they fit perfectly.

They sound tuff. lots of low end torque. They look great. easy access to spark plugs, easy to install. I would say go with doug's you'll be much more satisfied...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts