Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I removed my RMVB and reinstalled an automatic valve body. The auto valve body has been sitting for a few years.

At first the car wouldn't shift into third, but a new modulator fixed that problem.

Now, the car will NEVER downshift on its own. If it is in third, when I come to a stop, it stays in third. I can manually shift it down to first or second, but it should go there on its own.

I'm thinking that the governor isn't working properly. It didn't serve a purpose with the RMVB.

Am I looking in the right direction and can I access it without pulling the tranny?

·
Premium Member
4,309 Posts
If the upshifts are good i would maybe suspect a shift valve hanging up a little and not returning fully. I had a rebuild i did a few years ago do this but it came good on its own.

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
Were the governor distribution tubes removed when the manual valvebody was installed? Did you reinstall them when you put the old valve back in?
Paul

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am 80% sure that the governor tubes were left in when the RMVB was installed. The guy that built the tranny and I talked about it then, and now, and well..... we're 80% sure.

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
Pull the driveline and extension housing. from there you can check out the governor and the distribution tubes. You are describing governor problems - you just have to pin it down.
While you are at it replace the thimble screen under the governor too - that might prevent future problems.
Paul

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Paul. I will pull apart my 'parts' tranny so that I know exactly what I'm looking at before tearing into the car. I did not know there was a screen. I will definitely check into it, but this tranny has been rebuilt many times in the last 200 miles, so it BETTER be new and clean!!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts