Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a set of Pro Topline 180's to put on my 66 mustang a few weeks ago. The heads were fresh and I got a good price on them, so all was well. I pulled my old heads over the weekend to get things ready for the PTL's. I went ahead and test fit the headers to the new heads (off the car) just to check things. Passenger side looks good, Drivers side....damn header won't even bolt up to the head without hitting the plugs. I'm using autolite 3923's and hooker comps for a early mustang. So, I'm gonna try some of those short accel plugs, maybe double or triple stack the header gaskets, buy a new set of plug wires with 90* boots, and see where that gets me. Probably still have to massage the #6, 7, and 8 tubes. I took the header off, grabbed a head gasket, and proceeded to check piston-valve clearance. No dice there either. I went ahead and put a call in to Isky cams to rent their notching tool, I have to notch intake and exhaust eyebrows, the existing eyebrows are too small. Running a 1011-2 gasket, .512 lift on the cam, piston sticks .017 out of the hole. Its no fault of the heads, I guess this is just the sort of thing you run into sometime with performance parts. Sure is frustrating and expensive. I hope my exhaust pipes and all don't hit the crossmember, the PTL's have a 3/8" rasied exhasut port. With the kind of luck I've been having, I'll probably have to rework that too.

·
Registered
991 Posts
what was the PTV clearances?

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
there was none, lol... valves were hitting about .060 outside the eyebrows (pistons maybe for 1.94 valve). Heads have 2.02 and 1.60 valves. From what I could tell, the piston was chasing the valve too quickly, it was hitting as the valve shut. If I wanted, I could try and fix it by messing with the cam timing. Cam is a crane energizer 284H, 228 at 50 on 112 center, 5* advance built in. I plan to use the notcher to just enlarge the radius of the eyebrows, I don't think I'll have to add any depth.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I had the same problem with my PTL 180's and hooker supercomps for my 64 falcon. No matter what trick I tried it was a no-go with the plugs on the driverside. I ended up buying a set of 351W swap headers from crites bolted them up to my 302 and problem solved. Except I had to have F15falcon fab me up a new trans crossmember (the existing one was not original) and I now had an excuse for a new exhaust system.
I don't know if the swap headers are an option for you but maybe someone on the forum has has similar results. The swap headers will sit lower under the car unless you shim the motor up at the mount.
Just some ideas....

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: P64falcon on 8/8/06 6:06am ]</font>

·
Registered
991 Posts
ya the radial clearance would be none with the 2.02 valve. Valves never hit the piston at max valve lift, once the intake valve is at max lift the piston is well on it's way down the bore

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
On 2006-08-07 15:03, P64falcon wrote:
I had the same problem with my PTL 180's and hooker supercomps for my 64 falcon. No matter what trick I tried it was a no-go with the plugs on the driverside. I ended up buying a set of 351W swap headers from crites bolted them up to my 302 and problem solved. Except I had to have F15falcon fab me up a new trans crossmember (the existing one was not original) and I now had an excuse for a new exhaust system.
I don't know if the swap headers are an option for you but maybe someone on the forum has has similar results. The swap headers will sit lower under the car unless you shim the motor up at the mount.
Just some ideas....

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: P64falcon on 8/8/06 6:06am ]</font>
I went to the crites website and looked at the 351 swap headers, those things are pretty crazy looking, kinda like a FE header almost. I'm gonna explore my options with my Comps and see if I can make them work. Its nice to know that I have the option though. How do you like the heads?

Right now, with the gaskets doubled up and a 3923 autolite plug, very shallow ding on the header, I have maybe 1/4" clearance. I think the shorty plugs are about 3/8" shorter than the 3923's, and I can ding the header a little more. I think if I can get 3/4" clearnace in there, I can make something work. The plug wires I'm getting are supposed to handle 1000* when 1/2" away from the header. The headers are ceramic coated so maybe that will help some.....keeping my fingers crossed.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
On 2006-08-07 16:52, woody1 wrote:
ya the radial clearance would be none with the 2.02 valve. Valves never hit the piston at max valve lift, once the intake valve is at max lift the piston is well on it's way down the bore
just out of curiousity, would I need to advance or retard the cam to help with intake clearance? It seems like if I retarded it, the valve would close sooner, but maybe I'm thinking backwards.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
With the pistons .017 above deck and the .041 thick gasket the .024 quench distance is pretty close. You might want to find a thicker head gasket which will also help the piston to valve clearance also.

·
Registered
991 Posts
On 2006-08-07 17:11, indigo66 wrote:
On 2006-08-07 16:52, woody1 wrote:
just out of curiousity, would I need to advance or retard the cam to help with intake clearance? It seems like if I retarded it, the valve would close sooner, but maybe I'm thinking backwards.
I would cut for radial clearance first and check to see where your at. Let's not advance or retard yet

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The notching tool came in today, I went ahead and tried it out. That thing works like a charm. I hooked my cordless drill to it, used a low speed to keep the shavings large for easy cleanup, hit the trigger for maybe three seconds and its done. I only cut down radially, didn't really add any depth. Exhaust valve now has about .180 clearance, intake valve has about .110. The intake valve still hits (barely) in one spot at the very top edge of the relief. The cutter is 2.06 around, valve is 2.02, I measured them with my calipers. The teeth on the cutter are chamfered at the edge, I think thats why its hitting. I'm gonna cut a little deeper and hope the chamfered part will pass the contact spot, resulting in a full 2.06 cut in the critical area.

·
Registered
991 Posts
clearances are just fine now. Get that small touch cleaned up and your rollin.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
On 2006-08-10 18:34, indigo66 wrote:
just gotta get this header situation worked out
Dump them and get FPS headers!

·
Registered
228 Posts
Yeh, the crites headers are not pretty, and are similar to what they make for an FE swap header for Falcons. the front 2 primaries on each side run down infront of the shock tower and back making more space for the rear primaries. It also required a oil filter adapter like ford put on some SB Vans.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
like you P64, I cannot get the headers to work. The so called shorty plugs, accel 0416S, aren't one bit shorter than the autolite 3923's. On top of that, the high temp plug wires I bought with 90* boots don't help, I think a straight boot would have worked better on all but one plug. Luckily, summit is pretty close, so I'm gonna try to return them, get $100 back to put towards new headers. Seriously considering the crites headers. P64, can you send me some pics that show how they fit in the engine bay, and from underneath. I hate to trouble you, but it would really help me out.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
the cutters are $105ea, and the pilot is $35. I had to get a 1 5/8" cutter (1.60 valve) and a 2 1/16" cutter (2.02 valve). Works great, but too much money to spend on a one time use tool. Isky does a rental program on them, rental fee is $55. I plan to send them back and get some of my money back.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I got thru nothcing all the pistons, valve clearance is good to go. I called Crites to order the headers, the lady said it might be a few MONTHS before they had any more to ship.
She said she'd try to help me out and call me back. Not good. Accufabs are $$$ and I don't even know if they will work.

edit: she just called back, I got the last set. Hope they work.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: indigo66 on 8/15/06 11:54pm ]</font>

1 - 18 of 18 Posts