Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I have a couple questions that I am hoping all you Ford guru's can help me with. I recently bought a 70 XL from the original owner who claims that the engine has never been replace but I was questioned by someone who said they looked at it years ago and came to the conclusion that for whatever reason it was not original to the car. I have yet to hear back why he says this as of yet.

I checked the engine tage which reads..(at least I think it reads)

429 70 6
9-M K813

According to the internet the 429 is correct, the 70 is the model year (correct), the 6 is I dont know, the 9-M is where I get confused. 9 means it was built is 1969 and the M is for the month (confused on that too). The K813 is I believe correct as well.

Was it common practice to put 69 motors in 70 models? Am I missing something here? These numbers look to be right (even with my bad eyesight)?

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers!

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
The 1970 vehicles went on sale in September of 69, so there is a very good chance it has parts made in 1969, even if it was assembled in 1970. 9-M would be December 69, well into MY1970 production. The VIN number and Warranty Tag info should give you production date info for your car.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts