Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Galaxie 500 390 6.4 engine, when I am sitting idle and sometimes while driving the "factory hot light" is coming on and off. Now if I get to really moving it stays off but immediately when I stop shes back on and will stay on until I really get to moving again non stop.

What I have is:
26" Afco Racing Radiator ( new )

Tuff Stuff Super Cool Water pump (new)

180 Degree Thermostat (new)

don't laugh :) Ford Focus electric Dual fan got it running continuously while car is on (I think less than 1000CFM), reason because I put AC and the condenser and transmission cooler took up the space. The manual fan I had on there was also allowing that hot light to come on and that's why I we removed it and the like the next day or so we were shipping the car out and lying around was an old ford focus so anyway the rest is history.

So the guys over at be cool told me I could go with a 3150CFM be cool fan without shroud because the thing is I have less than 3" between engine and fan.

So according to the Marty at be cool I will still achieve the cooling I need without shroud, do you all agree?

Once again I have not seen any leaks, smoke from overheating or nothing just the hot light, but once I see that I start praying and hoping she does not overheat and usually I pull her over and chill a bit to be safe.

Another point that light comes on quick I mean about after 5 minutes after leaving the house she starts.

I plan to install a manual gauge temp gauge to see but just wondering what you guys think?????

·
Registered
480 Posts
1000 cfm is definitely not enough for 390. It probably is getting hot at low or no speed with that tiny thing. Once you get going the air being forced through the rad due to speed is doing the job the fan is supposed to do at idle. If it were me, I would get at least a 3000 cfm and a gauge. I got a nice 3000 cfm from Summit for a little over $100.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea I see why now why they are "idiot lights", any idea what a temp normally might be if a shoot it with a infrared therm gun, just curious until I can put a real gauge in the car

They're called idiot lights for a reason, put in an dependable gauge instead.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you have a shroud on yours? My space too tight for shroud and 3000+fan

1000 cfm is definitely not enough for 390. It probably is getting hot at low or no speed with that tiny thing. Once you get going the air being forced through the rad due to speed is doing the job the fan is supposed to do at idle. If it were me, I would get at least a 3000 cfm and a gauge. I got a nice 3000 cfm from Summit for a little over $100.

·
Registered
219 Posts
jolobo, do you smell the sweet sickly smell of antifreeze when this happens? It has a peculiar odor. I know my timing is too low, mine runs a tad hot and I can start to smell it.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
I am guessing this is a 66/ GALAXIE with a coolant temp warning lamp. The first thing you do is verify the lamp is operating correctly.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Actually while driving no, but when I reach my destitnation and pop the hood I can smell that sweet sickly smell if u stand close to rad cap but it's not a strong smell but it's there
jolobo, do you smell the sweet sickly smell of antifreeze when this happens? It has a peculiar odor. I know my timing is too low, mine runs a tad hot and I can start to smell it.

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
Yea I see why now why they are "idiot lights", any idea what a temp normally might be if a shoot it with a infrared therm gun, just curious until I can put a real gauge in the car
Shoot the waterneck (thermostat housing) and it should be 180F to 200F +/-. I don't know what temp the idiot light sender is supposed to trigger at, but someone here should know what a dangerous temp level is.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Do you have a shroud on yours? My space too tight for shroud and 3000+fan
My elec fan is exactly 2.75" thick. As for a shroud, I used 1/16" aluminum the dimensions of the core, and cut a circle in the center of it the same diameter of the fan blade (16"), so yes on the shroud that is the thickness stated.
You said you had less than 3" between the engine and fan....or do you mean between the engine and radiator?
Mine can be reversed to use as a pusher also.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
It's a 68 and excuse my novice knowledge but how can I check that?
You need to buy the correct year Shop Manual for the car. Most of your questions will be answered there.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yea between engine and radiator.
My elec fan is exactly 2.75" thick. As for a shroud, I used 1/16" aluminum the dimensions of the core, and cut a circle in the center of it the same diameter of the fan blade (16"), so yes on the shroud that is the thickness stated.
You said you had less than 3" between the engine and fan....or do you mean between the engine and radiator?
Mine can be reversed to use as a pusher also.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes I agree and I bought a hayes book for my year but its pretty basic ( I got more benefit from this forum and I also purchased an online kit from chilton but they must have went bankrupt because their server is always down. If you know a place where ca get a better shop manual let me know. I would love to read and try to get it done.
You need to buy the correct year Shop Manual for the car. Most of your questions will be answered there.

·
Registered
260 Posts
those fans are WAY small. I ended up running a slimline zirgo fan and made a shroud for it.

If you are tight on space, you can hog out the corners of the sheetmetal on the radiator core support and push the radiator forward a little to make more room for the fan. I did it because I wanted to run a larger radiator and didnt want to pay 1000 for a custom rad.

The fan that I'm running for my smallblock is 2500 cfm.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This is old topic just got around to doing it, put 3000 cfm fan and sitting idle about 5 minutes in she kicks on and temp according to gauge and radar gun is between 150 to 160. Thing is man that fan sounds like a freakin jet under the hood. Too loud it's annoying but seems to be cool.

Have not takin her out yet to test on road but when I get to moving you think airflow will be enough not to turn the fan on? It's cool if she comes on when just stuck in traffic it the like but rolling around town with a jet sound kills me. Also the guy at be cool was like that loud sound is normal due to high cfm and high amp requirements.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
5,567 Posts
Oops. Bummer with the jet engine.

People sometimes only tell you the good stuff. I got big rims and low profile tires looking for a firmer ride and now... oops, I feel every crack and rock I drive over.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts