Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know some of you guys have built SBC's before, so hopefully someone can give me a quick answer. I'm rebuilding a 2.8 V6 for an S10 Blazer (to make some cash on for my Mustang - see it's semi Ford related!
), and I need to know if there should be a gasket for the oil pump.
The oil pump bolts to the rear main cap (which is the same setup as a SBC if I remember correctly), but I can't remember if there should be a gasket there. If there shouldn't be, should I use some silicone at all, or just leave it bare? Thanks in advance!!!

-Brian

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
I just built a SBC 350 ... My memory isn't telling me if there was or not ...

BUT ... I just checked the contents list on the gasket set from that build ...

No oil pump gasket is called out on that list ...

SO , Me thinks there is no gasket there

Oh ... and good luck on the fund raising venture

Larry Madsen
Las Vegas Nevada

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: monstermach on 2/27/02 9:57am ]</font>

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I tore the engine down a few months back, and couldn't remember. I didn't see any gasket material on te cap or the pump, but I wasn't sure. My gasket set listed some oil pump related gaskets, but there weren't any, and this engine uses an odd oil filter adapter that has a bunch of different gaskets and o-rings in it, so I think that's what the set was referring to. Anybody else have any contradicting info?

-Brian

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
The only gasket on a Cheby oil pump is on the rotor plate. The pump mates up to the main by its self.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Blown54 on 2/28/02 12:32am ]</font>

1 - 4 of 4 Posts