Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is there a way I can tell how many teeth are on my flywheel,I cant see it to count them. Is the number of teeth on the starter drive the same for the 157 and the 164? Has a 80 302 block with a 65 flywheel now,but it is coming out and a stroker with a reground 400 crank is going in.So it dosnt have to be the same....putting in new clutch etc,as long as it clears the blowproof bell I guess......Any ideas?..Thanks

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
I am pretty sure the 1980 block should have the 164 tooth 50 oz balance, but a 65 is 157 and 28 oz. balance.

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
The 50 ounce started in 81 on the 5.0 and only involves the rotating assembly, crank/rods, etc. The block wouldn't care one way or the other.

With a mix and match like that the only way to know for sure is to count the teeth on the starter ring. If it is for sure a 65 flywheel it would have been a 157. I think the 164's came out around 1969 right with the 351W. The starter would be the same but with a different diameter starter ring it has to match the starter bolt holes on the bell housing or it will be out of whack.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
I'm in the same delema. My stock starter is on the way out and last time I did a clutch I didn't count the teeth on the flywheel. I do believe (out of previous error) that the two starters themselves have different number of teeth.

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
As far as 'just counting the teeth', mark one with paint, and have someone turn the crankshaft (slow enough so you can keep track of where you are).......(for gawd sakes don't use your fingers up close to count with)....... anyway, turn it over slow enough, and count them that way........

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Oh yea, they will both bolt up too. Just one of them will make a grinding noise.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks guys....all the info I have found says 65-80 is the same.Have both listed. I dont really care,I was just gonna use my old starter and wanted to make sure it would clear,because I know they say you may have to dial indicate the bell on the 164 tooth wheel.Why would I care? more power to turn higher compression from the 164 tooth? Am only running 11.5-1......
never mind,had a brain fart.was thinking I could not count the teeth because of the block plate. But since if you take the starter off there is a hole to look thru why cant you count them you idiot! I am dissapointed in you guys for asking me "how stupid can ya get" Maybe I best not post anything else till the memory of this starts to fade...thanks for the input.

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Because 'we're (as a commulative group), aren't like that.....(i.e. name calling, dissing, etc. etc.). Unless you really deserve it...........

For the most part, if someone asks a really stupid/not worth answering question, that's exactly what happens..................it doesn't get answered!!!!!

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Drag is right. We as a group don't belittle people for dumb comments or "brainfarts". We as individuals don't belittle because we have done the same damn dumb things you and everyone else has done and wouldn't want you to make fun of us either.

We do poke fun at each other tho but, it's all in fun.

Read most embarasing mistakes in the garage section. Tooooooo funny!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts