Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a t5 off craig's list from a guy in Sacramento. He said it was from a 90 Gt but needed to be rebuilt caust it would pop out of gear. I picked it up for $100 +shipping so I thought is was a good deal because I want to learn how to rebuild them

So it arrives today and it's obviously not a 90' trans, it is a Non world class trans but it is a V8 trans, So im a little pissed because it's basically worthless and I don't even know if I should bother rebuilding it. It definitely needs rebuilding, the input shaft wobbles around and the bearing retainer is junk

I'll open it up anyway and part it out I guess, I don't know. The tag was missing but I failed to ask him about the bearing cap in the front of the trans, sure enough there is no bearing, just a metal plug.

Does anyone know the difference between the WC and NWC t5's? I know the needle bearings are non-existent but would it even be worth rebuilding or being used for learning how to rebuld one? My intention was to tear it down and rebuild it if it were a WC that way if the T5 in my car ever went bad I could deal with it myself.

·
Registered
440 Posts
My '83 NWC T-5 is holding up just fine behind my 347.
Did 8 passes at the strip last fall. Only got down to a 12.8 do to traction problems but i've been running it on the street with
a 347 for 3 years. Maybe the traction problems are what's keeping the T-5 alive??? I wouldn't say they are junk.
Bruce

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hmmm, well everyone seems to give the impression that only WC T5's are worth anything. I know they share the same case, tailhousing, and cover. I don't know anything about the internals though, like whether or not the gears and cluster shaft are the same.

I will tear it apart anyway to get a good look inside, if it was popping out of 4th then something must be wrong, but who knows it could be anything.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts