Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What all is involed there...do yo have a groove machined in the heads and the block or just one or the other.....then do you run a normal head gasket for all the water passages to seal..............how much would it cost to have done

·
Registered
729 Posts
Last one I did, I bought an O-ring cutting fixture that chucked into the top of the cylinder bore. It used an arm with a blade in it that you could spin around the cylinder and it would cut a small groove about a 1/16 of an inch out from the bore and about half as deep as the wire supplied with the kit.
With my kit you grooved the block and not the head.
We used a regular head gasket.
It used a thin copper wire that we laid into the grooves and slightly overlapped the two ends of the wire.
I haven’t done it for years and technology has probably changed a lot so there’s probably an better easier way to do it.

·
Registered
333 Posts
You can buy the Isky tool from Summit for around $280 and do the block like 67falconer said above. I don't thinks things have changed from what he described. The wire needs to be 3 to 4 thousandths thicker than the head gasket will be when it's compressed.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: carsnguitars on 9/28/06 6:07am ]</font>

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Do those tools cut aluminum?

I know of a small aluminum blocked engine that might could use some assistance intaking air (and sealing it) one of these days.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Anything that cuts steel should cut aluminum fairly easy I'd think. The only reason carbide burrs for steel etc have problems is clogging, because the aluminum is too soft.

Cris

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
Yes, Aluminum is soft and it will weld to a carbide bit. Use a mixture of kerosene with some bees wax melted and mixed in to it as a cutting oil. (1 qt of Kerosine and 1 1/2 ounce of Bees Wax) Keep it flooded but don't waste it by pouring it on the floor - I build a small dam of plumbers putty around the work area and then pour just enough on to keep the work cool and clean. For doing o-ring groove you will have to build a small lip around the bore and then another around the outside of the area where the tool will be cutting.
Paul

1 - 7 of 7 Posts