Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Observation I made at a"classic"car show. Not a "classic" car not getting in!simple rules hey?

What do you guys think about this?

On Saturday night I was going to a local sports bar to eat.

I saw this hamburger place across the street having a car show so I decided to check it out?

It had about 40 cars in it a lot of Camaros,Novas and Mustangs but nothing I really liked.

It was worth it to stop as I always like to see what guys are running for motors.

I was getting ready to leave to show after about 40 minutes and I heard this guy yelling at the guy parking the cars for the show?

I was only about 10 feet from them so I figured out that the guy yelling was driving a new PT Cruiser and wanted to get into this "classic car" show but,the guy parking did'nt want to let him in?

He was yelling about how much he spent on making his car "look old" and he has spent more money on it than probably any car that was in the show?

It was a totally friggin stupid looking PT Cruiser with candy flames and wheel skirts!

He also had a windshield visor and aftermarket running boards that looked like real wood.

I was sorta interested in the outcome of this dispute so I took a seat at the picnic table to see how it ended?

The guy running the show stood his ground and did'nt let the PT Cruiser in!

The guy driving the PT yelled some more stupid crap about how the new cars are so much better than the old stuff and that the PT Cruiser is the best car because it looks old but is'nt!

I was pretty offended by this PT "Nutbag" when he was ripping on old cars,I felt like "throwing him a beating"!

After the PT guy left (tried to burnout but could'nt
) I went over and told the guy running the show that I over heard the dispute and thought that it was real neat of him to stand his ground and keep it a classic show?

He said it is up to him what comes in to the show and they only have 40 spots so they have to keep it open for classic cars only.

He said it's hard to tell what's going to show up every weekend but,they want to keep the show for classics only.

He also said if some spots don't get filled he would rather the stay empty than to be filled with "non classics"?

I then told him that he did a good job and the show will be better becuase of him.

He then ask whitch car was mine at the show?

I told him I did'nt have my car in the show I was just driving my truck by and happened to stop at the show?

I then told him I have a 66 Galaxie 500 XL with a built up 428 and a 4 speed and he said bring it by one of these weekends and he will put it in the "feature spot" and I would also get a free meal from his place!

Pretty cool hey!

Whats your thoughts on this?

65 Falcon Sprint "White Lightning 408-W"
66 Galaxie 500-XL 428 4-speed "XL-ERATOR"

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DynoTom on 7/3/02 1:08pm ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DynoTom on 7/3/02 1:47pm ]</font>

·
Registered
672 Posts
Observation I made at a"classic"car show. Not a "classic" car not getting in!simple rules hey?

I think that is a great idea. Every weekend, there is always somebody bringing a new Camaro, Mustang, or some other new car. Like there is this Impala that has 20" wheels and flames, nothing else, and it's always at the cruises. The guy always gets upset when ever some "classic car" parks in "his" spot. lol They guy is a real douchebag.

Up in Scottsdale, they divide it up, according to the style of car, be it classics, or imports, motorcycles. I think that is a good way too.

·
Registered
4,154 Posts

Right on! Nice to have someone defending the term "Classic". Owning something that looks old, and having the balls and brains to keep sumthing that is 30yrs old running (and in most cases out-running) are 2 completely different things. I really dont want the classic car scene to do what the 4x4 scene has done recently. Used to be you had to know your stuff to build a decent rig to get places. But now any yahoo with good credit can go out and buy an SUV and go tear up nature. I guarantee that most of the litter problems were having lately is a direct result of these suburban morons not knowing how to appreciate why some of these places are as hard to get to as they are.

I'm off my soapbox, sorry for the rant.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts

Great story Tom!

I have thought many things but never thought of "Classic" yet when I see a PT Cruiser.

·
Registered
672 Posts

On 2002-07-03 04:04, Johnny Ray wrote:
Great story Tom!

I have thought many things but never thought of "Classic" yet when I see a PT Cruiser.

Yeah, classic is not the first thing that comes to mind when you see a PT Cruiser. Probably more, "Why would someone buy that?"

·
Registered
660 Posts

I wouldn't have let him in either. I have nothing against PT Cruisers and people that choose to customize anything, but a classic car show is just that - a classic car show.

It's kind of funny how people think the amount of money they spend is directly proportional to how "cool" their car is.

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Yea guys, I was thinking about if this guy would have got in he probably would have ended up getting beat up before it was over?

He said some stupid things about old cars and how the new cars that look old are so much better?

I think he would have had some dumb comment for somebodys classic at the show whitch might have caused him to get "pounded on"?

He was a real moron!

·
Registered
539 Posts

It sure is nice to see someone stick to there guns and not worry about pissin some off! More power to him!

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Greg makes some real good points!

What is a classic car?

I guess my ideas about what they are would be are just my views so they would not fit everyone elses views?

It would be hard to pin down a classic car for me?

I don't think age itself makes a classic car?

I think most shows that are billed as classic are looking for cars that are old?

·
Registered
128 Posts

Can we please call the PT Cruiser by its real name: PT Neon

What do most people think of when they hear classic car? I would say that they think of pretty much anything before the fuel crises of the '70s. Once they hit cars turned sucky and slow.

·
Registered
660 Posts

It would be interesting so see what people do think of as a "classic" car.

For me it had to come off the factory with a lot of chrome, stainless, and bold body lines. For example a 66 Falcon doesn't seem that classic to me, but a 65 does.

I still like old muscle cars... but I don't know if I'm ready to call them all classic.

What about Vintage and Antique???

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

On 2002-07-03 13:21, 1965FALCON wrote:
Yes, I would be interesting to find out what guys here think a classic car is?

I think the term classic is such a wide term to use.

Like Greg Cook said the term was really coined for the early luxury cars and it has kind of been past on to other cars since?

For me age does not make a car classic?

I don't think a 95 Ford Taurus will be a classic when it turns 20 years old!

The cars that most come to mind as classics to me are 50s and 60s cars?

·
Registered
1,904 Posts

I like '66 Falcons. They are old and kinda rare compared to other Falcons. I think one with FE motor would be kinda cool. But I'm not your normal mainstream car nut as I have a Morris Minor(which alot of people don't know what it is) and a '62 Falcon which isn't exactly everyone's favorite.Each his own I guess. Personally I'd rather race my cars in the summer heat than go to a "classic" car show anyway.

·
Registered
4,154 Posts

I can't really define what I think is classic. I consider my mustang a Claasic, but not my truck, even though they are separated by only 3 years. Bonus Classic points go to something you dont see all to often anymore, such as my buddies newly acquired 1960 Valiant Wagon, or anyone cruisin a pre 72 Torino. I think a classic is a car that reminds you of the time it was designed. I dont look at a 71 nova and think the same way I do when I see a 71 Cuda. Kinda hard to explain I guess.

I guess basically it boils down to plastic. The more plastic, the less likely it will be seen as a classic.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts

On 2002-07-03 13:21, 1965FALCON wrote:

For me it had to come off the factory with a lot of chrome, stainless, and bold body lines. For example a 66 Falcon doesn't seem that classic to me, but a 65 does.

I still like old muscle cars... but I don't know if I'm ready to call them all classic.

What about Vintage and Antique???
Look out now fella!

I was beginning to like you!

·
Registered
660 Posts

Now I've done it!

I'm not knocking 66 Falcons!, it was just a comparison of a major change of look and feel between years of a car. I think they are all still old cool musclecars!

I better stop before I dig a bigger hole with the 66 Falcon owners.

Next time I better go through the "my cars" section...

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts

I think the '66 Falcons are the ugliest of the bunch and the '67s are the best (with '68-'69 bumpers) with '68-'69 being inbetween. I just can't stand that hidious looking '66 Falcon grill. Call me biased but maby Johnny Ray agrees too?

·
Registered
2,025 Posts

Kent, eBay used to be fun until you got your Falcon!

I had a monopoly on 68-early '70 parts.

Nobody is safe when you are bidding now!

Greg has a valid point, when we all get our views together, there are many many different angles in which to look at what tickles our fancy.

It seems that no matter which Ford we all love, each one of us would LOVE to have Greg Cook's motor in it though!

·
Registered
7,497 Posts

Greg asked, "What if the PT-Cruiser had a blown small block?"
Well, then at least it has a classic engine, and should be let in.

Greg asked, "What if a Dodge Ram with a Chrysler HEMI pulled up?"
Again, at least it has a classic engine.

NBO's... (Nimrod Bolt On's) don't transform ANY regular car into something special. These types of modifications (like was mentioned about the PT-Cruiser) remind me of a 'rice mobile'. It's just stupid sh*t bolted on by stupid people. Send them on their way.

Anyone with a bank account can buy a new Bullit mustang, Camaro, Firebird, Cobra, Vette, etc... To me, these are NOT classics and should not be allowed in. Sure, they are neat cars, but can be had by anyone with a big bank account or 'silver spoon'. Go to the nearest car dealer if you feel the personal need to see one in person.

Just my $0.02, Your opinions may vary...

1 - 20 of 53 Posts