Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all,

as i am new to the Galaxie in general i have a question. My 64 xl 500 has been upgraded to power steering (not from the factory but the PO did it). The car steers great and i can jam on the brakes at 60mph and take my hands off the wheel and she stops good and in a straight line. There is very little effort needed to turn the car at any speed and there is no need to overcorrect the steering wheel or anything. so in other words it seems like the power steering isdoing as it should without issue.

my question is that the steering wheel takes about 1/4 turn before it actuall moves the wheels. a bit of slop. and more importantly there is a very discerbible "knock" sound when i turn the steering wheel. the PO had replaced the factory steering wheel with a Grant type one (wh i dont know!!) that seems a bit smaller diameter. you can feel the "knock" as ou turn the wheel. it may be more unsettling than an actual problem but i thought id ask. is there a sector shaft adjustment or anything i can do? again i dont think that is the actual issue but i could be wrong. i did notice too that the driver's side oute tie rod is a bit loose so that coulddef be part of it.

thanks again

- jason

·
Premium Member
675 Posts
I would replace the worn ty rod ends and any other parts with slop in them first, Then check the steering box for a flat spot in the worm and sector gears. If you find that the klunk is in the steering box do NOT try and adjust it tighter to get it out, That could cause the steering box to lock up. If that is the case the steering box will have to replaced or repaired. You might check the bushings in the idler arm and the steering column it self also. Things that go klunk are not a good thing, Happy trails

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Check the ball stud on the control valve. Could be the sleeve is worn or the main body. I've had a couple like that.

·
Registered
10,327 Posts
Indeed, some linkage parts are obviously worn, so take care of any excessively worn parts first. The initial slop in the steering wheel indicates the basic steering linkage joints and pivots are worn. PS only provides assistance to that.

After fixing the basic steering linkages, then the performance of the steering gear box and PS system can be checked. Any remaining slack between the steering wheel turning and the wheels turning are then in the steering box. If the wheels turn when they should, but power assist is lagging, then it's the control valve. In the the old assisted system, it is common for both the steering box and control valve to be lightly worn and simply require adjustment, or occasionally the box or valve are fine but were never adjusted properly the last time they were serviced or replaced.

The steering box and the control valve can be adjusted, but must be done by following the Ford Service Manual, which all classic Ford owners should have their own copy of. Both the control valve and steering box adjustments are simple, but as they are steering parts, be sure to follow the directions carefully for a safe and reliable system.

David

1 - 4 of 4 Posts