Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Just picked up a solid roller cam and lifter set from the corral. The guy told me the cam was Lunati, and that the lifters were Crane (he thought). They aren't, I'm 99% sure. They look like Comp EndurX lifters, but without the oiling hole drilled to the wheel.

Are these Pro Comps?

The price was great for the cam, lifters, and an MSD 6AL...so I wasn't too worried...the problem is that one of the tie bars is missing, and I need to replace it now...and without knowing who makes it...well...yeah.

Any help will be appreciated, thanks =)

Cris

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, was hoping they were decent...150$ for cam (it's perfect for what I'm doing - http://www.holley.com/data/Products/Technical/50616.pdf is the cam card), lifters, and an a recently rebuilt MSD.

Thanks for the reply Joe, it's appreciated. One other question though...don't Comp Cams say 'comp' on the retainer for the tie bar? The one on their website shows it...just don't know if they all do.

That's the only reason I thought they might be copies. That and the shape of the necked down area is a bit different.

Thanks again!
Cris

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Is1BadFord on 9/25/06 2:51am ]</font>

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
yep i agree with Joe. The link bar also looks a bit thicker than the ones you have. Still though i have no idea either. However manufactures do,can, and have changed little details of their products throughout the years. Maybe ask comp cams about maybe a part # or something that they will know is SPECIFIC to their roller lifters that you can notice.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Those look pretty much exactly the same. Funny thing is, the boxes in the back of the picture say 'Hydraulic roller tappets' lol. Also, these lifters when shaken make no noise whatsoever. Inside it doesn't look like there are ANY moveable pieces. Just a solid chunk of steel with holes drilled in it. My dads solid rollers, and the older styles I've had rattle when shaken. Not sure what's up with these.

Thanks for helping guys, it's much appreciated.

Cris

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Hmm true it does But the body shape is the tell-tale sign of it being a solid lifter. The reason the neck the body down on your lifters is for weight savings when your turning 8000 rpms. Hydraulic lifters have alot more weight because of the internal piston,check ball,and oil etc. inside them.
Those should be fine after you locate a link bar and double check the rollers to be smooth and without nicks or dings in the roller surface.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yep, the rollers all roll easily, and seem to be smooth. Now to find a link bar!

Thanks for the help btw =).

Cris

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
I'd bring one to a machine shop and have them duplicate it if you can't find one. I use a local shop "Davis Machine" the guy is older then dirt and smarter then all of us and he loves **** like this.

Good Luck......

·
Registered
7,497 Posts
I have a Comp Cams color catalog that is a couple years old. It came out when the Endure-X lifters has the slot instead of the hole to the roller. Anyway, They have a picture of their 'Super Roller Lifters' which are listed as the best 'all around' lifter available. The Endure-X are listed as the ultimate street and marine lifter.

Anyway, about the picture of the Super Roller Lifter. The tie-bar retainers look exactly like yours in the picture. They are not straight across the flat, like the Endure-X, but tapered like yours.

So.... It looks like you've probably got some quality Comp lifters. If they need rebuilt, or you need parts... Call Comp. 1-800-999-0853

The picture is on page 284 if anybody else has the same catalog. It has no year listed on it, but it can't be more than 3-5 years old.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Did a search for those super roller lifters and came up with:

http://www.compcams.com/information/whatsnew/Files/UpgradedSuperRollerLifters.pdf#search=%22Comp%20Cams%20Super%20Roller%20Lifters%22

They look VERY much like those...wish I could get a better picture of the other side. The necked down area looks very much like mine, and the tiny lock wire that you see to hold the trunion in place is exactly the same as mine, even down to the tiny tail on it turned towards the center. If the other side appears the same, I'd be pretty sure they were it. These lifters look old, there is some pitting up above the area that rides in the lifter bores, etc...but the rollers appear to be solid and roll smoothly, with no scratches or pits.

I think it's funny how the 'Speed Pro' and 'Comp Super Roller' look freaking EXACTLY alike...and I mean exactly.

Thanks again guys =).

Cris

·
Registered
7,497 Posts
I think it's funny how the 'Speed Pro' and 'Comp Super Roller' look freaking EXACTLY alike...and I mean exactly.
You don't think Comp actually MAKES all that stuff they sell, do ya'?

It's also funny how Comp's aluminum roller rockers look exactly like Blue Racers', Speed Pros', etc. Dove makes all those. I used to buy Dove straight from the factory, and got an excellent deal on a set that were double stamped with both Comp Cams and Blue Racer's logos.

·
Registered
7,497 Posts
Hey Joe,

I'm looking for some opinions on a camshaft choice I'm making for a 383 Small Block Chevy.

The carburetor still needs purchased
has a Victor Jr. intake (could step up to Super Vic)
AFR 210 heads,
1-7/8" Hooker Super Comps, 3" exhaust,
010 block
Callies less expensive line of crank and rods
Pistons are JE with a compression ratio of 10.3. (a bit low)
has Crower lifters with the EDM hole for pressure oiling

It's going into a 1969 Camaro that is to be used as a 'toy'. Power under 3000 rpm isn't really a concern, just maximum reliable power up to around 7000 rpm that won't round the cam lobes off when street driven.

Here's what I've come up with....

Comp Cams Xtreme Energy Solid lobes. These are hyped to have an opening ramp as quick as all but their most aggressive solid racing lobes, but a smoother closing ramp to preserve the valve job and reduce noise. They are also designed for very tight lash settings to further reduce valvetrain shock.

252/260 @ 0.050" with a 106 or 108 lobe seperation. He has 1.6 intake and 1.5 exhaust rockers for 0.578"/0.560" gross lift.

Anyway, here are the lobes...

Intake #6059

[email protected], [email protected]", [email protected]", 0.578" lift with a 1.6 rocker

Exhaust #6061

[email protected], [email protected]", [email protected]", 0.560" lift with a 1.5 rocker

Any comments? Feedback is appreciated!

Thanks!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts