Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Look what I found at my friends shop today. I traded my 289 Weiand single for it. Needs a cleaning but it just might find a way on the Fairlane this summer. No to find a couple 500 Carters.

68 Fairlane/70 Cougar

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: dark7068 on 1/16/02 1:45pm ]</font>

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
Cool trade. Now to put 2 850 double pumpers on with that stock converter and 9:1 compression with RV cam and let her rip!

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kent, you have to remember this is the wifes car when I'm done the Cougar. Don't encourage her.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I put my 600 Holleys from the tunnel ram on it and they are to big, doh. I have gaskets, and stuff, I might of put it on this weekend.
Good thing they dont fit

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
Edelbrock carbs would work good on it. I put 2 500s on a friends '67 Camaro 427 dual quad and those carbs were easy to tune in. Very resposive and great drivability but they were a little lean for his square port heads and 12:1 compression. Had a Richmond 6 speed and 4.11s on ET Streets(fairly small cam). No traction at all but it wasn't set up for the strip. Just a reliable, quick, and fun street car. 500s would be nice on your 302 and wouldn't be too lean on your engine(should I say your wife's engine?).

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There's a big car show here in April. I plan on having all the new panels on (fenders, doors, hood, 1/4's) and in primer by then. Hopefully with the dual 4's. Then the last one is in August. Hot August nights, I got honourable mention for UNFINISHED last year, so I plan on having it painted and the new bumpers on it by than. Plus the Cougar in Primer and halfazz running for that one. Should be fun. Me and the wife in our cars beside each other, kids at grandma's ( if they dont bring there 71 AMC Javelin) and talk cars. Cant wait for summer.

·
Registered
7,470 Posts
The engine will look really cool with the dual quads, but would run better with the single carb. Those old Offy intakes are best used for the car shows and cruise in's.

A modern Air-Gap, RPM, or Stealth intake would blow it into the weeds in power production... but I guess that antique intake -looks- cool.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mike, the intake is just for car shows and cruizes. It wont be for my daily driver every day. How often do you see a 68 Fairlane Fastback with a dual quad intake, probably never. I just might get a gear drive for it too for the COOL FACTOR.

Intake gaskets arent that much and it's a 1 hour change max so it's worth it just for the cool factor.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: dark7068 on 1/17/02 5:55am ]</font>

·
Registered
201 Posts
I had an Offy 2X4 on a 455 Olds topped with two 600 Edelbrocks. Tried to set it up with progressive linkage, no dice. Just wasn't going to happen. Hesitation, dead spots, just couldn't get it tuned. Switched to non-progerssive, a little tuning, and WOW. True, a single 4 bbl may have been better, but the dual quads get more attension when you're "checking" the oil at the gas station.

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Clean 'er up and slap 'er on. Major coolness. Way neater than the factory 2x4 setup I've seen around.
If nothing else, a couple of little 'cheater' NOS plates under EACH carb would take the 'dead spot' out of her!!!!!

·
Registered
539 Posts
You lucky dog you
Dual quads definately have a high HOLY **** factor

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Funny thing is that "new" edel. 2x4 intake is almost identical to the original.

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
2 Dominators would look intimidating but so would a blower. HMMM....

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm making a base so I can use my air cleaner that is on the car already. It goes with the Fairlane (Cobra style) Valve covers, and has a K&N filter. When it's done I'll take better pics, I found a couple 500 carters today. WOOHOO!!!!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts