Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my Sunliner to get inspected this morning. The conversation went something like this:

DMV: "I just need to check the emissions."

Me: "It's a '62. There was no such thing back then."

DMV: "We just check the carbon emissions."

Me: "I don't think you understand. This car has no catalytic converter. No emissions controls whatsoever. It didn't exist back back then. It might be fun to see what the reading is, though."

"Um... let me check the computer."

He came back and cleared me for a 7 year inspection waiver, so everything turned out fine - but I was worried for a minute there.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I think you are lucky. I live outside DC and have heard of some of those old cars failing. Mine was MD state inspected in 1985 when I bought it. Then you couldn't get antique plates until it was at least 25 years old. So today I still run the regular plates and I don't need to go through any inspections. But, I suppose, with these out of control politicians today anything can happen!

·
Premium Member
5,912 Posts
Yeah The great state of Texas only charges me ~$15 for an inspection. They make up for it on registration though, which is by GVW.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
DC has historic tags - but then you're only allowed to drive 1000 miles a year.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Historic plates here in AZ. No inspection, no emissions (65 and older) and registration is 35 bucks/yr (including 10.00 plate charge!!)

·
Registered
159 Posts
You all need to get a Michigan mailing address, motor city here and they could care less. I can license my car with a yr correct plate for $35 for life and..um... What's an inspection?

·
Registered
824 Posts
England you need and inspection every 12 months unless its a pre 1960 then no inspection.
You need to buy a road fund licence for anything post 73, this can be big money if your engine is above 1600cc and all depends on emissions put out on inspection.
You need insurance and inspection certificate to get a road fund licence.
My wagon is up soon and I hope it will pass :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
NY is $10 per year for inspection, and $28.75 per year for registration, if you have Historic plates. I don't believe there is a limit on miles driven.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Correct no mileage limit for NY State.... but classic insurance does put a 2500 cap on mine. But since it is upstate NY... the driving season is not that long.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts