Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Friend that drives the Camaro got a ticket on a lone freeway here in So Cal late one night. 120 in a 75. Ohh ****...I am in a way glad that this happened because NOBODY needs to drive that fast. Yet, I was saddened becuase this kid wont learn from it...MAYBE. The only real good news is this: The Drag races are Jan 13 here...his court date is the 15th so he will have his license for them atleast

So he gets the ticket Approx 120 in a 70 (but cop wrote in a 75). This was about his 5th ticket. What will happen ya think?

Jeff Given

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
If the cop wrote in the wrong speed limit he may beat it if the judge is OK??!!

If not, just over pay it by a few bucks and when they send a refund check....just throw it away!! This has worked in the past and the case will never go on record until the financials balance......It may be worth a try as a last resort??!!

Cobrajack

·
Premium Member
836 Posts
90% chance he will lose his license, in cali over 100 is a 2 point offense, and considered reckless driving. Also, if his tickets were in the last year, he will have too many points on his license. You would have thinked he would have learned from the first 4 tickets. It will also cost him alot, I got 19 over in a construction zone, cost me over 300 bucks for that one. Goin 120 isnt that bad, as long as there is no traffic. I have been 160 in a car, but it was a 20 mile dead straight road out the desert of cali, traffic was one or two cars a day. Your friend probably will lose his license from 6 months - a year.

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
I would say he's in the crapper! Perhaps he should hire a lawyer. And learn that the pedal moves both ways. I hope he slows down.

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
On 2001-12-27 06:42, Cobrajack wrote:
If the cop wrote in the wrong speed limit he may beat it if the judge is OK??!!

If not, just over pay it by a few bucks and when they send a refund check....just throw it away!! This has worked in the past and the case will never go on record until the financials balance......It may be worth a try as a last resort??!!

Cobrajack

Both of these ideas are false.
Judges dont throw out citations due to insignificant errors like that.

Secondly a citation goes on record based on a time frame, not paying the bail. Using that reasoning why overpay at all...just never pay and it never goes on record... see how illogical it is!

·
Registered
20 Posts
There ya go, just never pay and find out what a bench warrant is. Your chevy buddy should slow his ass down or at least try to keep it on the track. His insurance is gonna suck once they find out about his heavy foot.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
He should lose his license, going that fast on any street is dangerous. No matter what time of day. Speeds like that belong on a track, not public streets. Maybe that will teach him to slow down, driving is a privilage, so he should respect that.

Rick

·
Registered
521 Posts
i got tagged doing 55 in a 35 here in colorado... 8 POINT TICKET!! $#!t i also got a ticket for 85 (was actually doing 95) in a 55 on I25 through denver.... cop wrote that for 6 points..... my only 2 tickets. i got the 8 point dropped to 4....

but i would say your friends license is bye bye

·
Registered
336 Posts
Awwwwwwww poor guy............BULLSHIT!!!
What if he lost control at that speed and wiped out mum and the kids, off on a family holiday. He deserves what he gets. Sorry, but doing that much OVER the limit he should pay his dues.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No doubt he should pay his dues. No respect for the law, or life in General. We all had a good friend that was killed in a car accident (his friend was home from the navy and was showing off his car) and killded my buddy. My bud was not even driving. For any person to have lost a good close friend yet still do this is insane. I have had my foot in the Mach 1, bbut NEVER 120. Fastest I have taking it to is 100 er so, and that was not cruising that was a one time deal. Now I gotta hope that he atleast has his license for us to drag on the 13th. He should, just gotta hope now

Jeff Given

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No doubt he should pay his dues. No respect for the law, or life in General. We all had a good friend that was killed in a car accident (his friend was home from the navy and was showing off his car) and killded my buddy. My bud was not even driving. For any person to have lost a good close friend yet still do this is insane. I have had my foot in the Mach 1, bbut NEVER 120. Fastest I have taking it to is 100 er so, and that was not cruising that was a one time deal. Now I gotta hope that he atleast has his license for us to drag on the 13th. He should, just gotta hope now

Jeff Given

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Jeff Given

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Jeff must "studder"???

Note to "Admin".....If you simply don't pay, you will be issued an arrest warrant!!

If you overpay you have satisfied the court as far as the fine is concerned.....It has worked other places, but I don't know about California???!!!

BTW, I got off on a "minor technicality"...The stupid cop wrote the wrong time on the ticket and the judge figured if he couldn't tell time.....Maybe he couldn't read a radar screen!!!

All I'm saying is anything is worth a try since the guy is obviously desperate!!

Cobrajack

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
I've gotten out of alot of tickets cuz of spelling errors. Mostly the spelling of my last name, 90% used to spell it wrong, one cop even had to go to school for a writing class, as ordered by the judge because of his spelling, also needed to go see an eye doc.
I used to do stupid stuff to (burn-outs in front of the cop shop, take off and see if they could catch me, they always did, I didnt learn)and always got caught.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
If I were his old man, I'd do 2 things. Kick his ass for being a moron and make him ride the bus until age 18. It only takes a 1/2 second of not thinking to kill yourself or others. He should be greatful he's not my kid.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Canada has a new lisence thing on now for new drivers. It's a probation for 1 year, if you get anumber of ticket for excessive speed and wreckless driving, you lose it for 5 years. Simple. You have to drive around with signs on your vehicle for the year starting of with L (learner), N (novice) then you are a qualified driver if you have no tickets or accidents. I've been driving sinse I was 16 and had to take Young Drivers, (parents request)before I got mine. I lost my lisence for awhile and it sure woke me up when it comes to driving, I'm afraid to renew my bike lisence, alot of scary drivers out there.

This has nothing to do with your topic but I wanted to share.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Do they have a thing called court supervision in Cal? Here in Il., you can for about $200-300 and about 3-6 months, get supervision. If you go the supervision time, your ticket is dropped from your record. No insurance hassle, no nothing. If you screw up in that time your new ticket applies and your old one comes back. I haven't had this for a long time, but I used to get it a lot and it not only saved my license, but I got to keep insurance. I will tell you what the states attorney told me "SLOW DOWN".

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yea, a little similiar to what I got. I got an exhibition of speed. (Burn out infront of a cop
) I was under street arrest. This all happened 2 HOURS BEFORE MY 18th B-DAY!!! LUckily the car was in my dads name, so the cop did not have it impounded. Instead, he just called my dad and mom, and had them come down, and pick up the car- Would not even let me drive. The cop told me I was probably going to lose my license, face a 500 dollar fine, and spend up to 30 days in jail. This was horrible for me!! Anyhoo, the adult courts through it out because I was a minor when it happened, and when it went to jouvenile courts, they through it out into a youth Diversion program. I spent 100 $, went to 2, 2 hour long classes, and was done. Not on my record, and no insurance hassles. For a whole year almost, I had learned my lesson. Still to this day ( a year later almost 19th Bday is Jan 24) I have not lit up the tires from dead stop. When I do it now, I am rolling 20 MPH er so. And I look A WHOLE LOT BETTER

If my friend were to get this-whichj I am sure he wont because of his age, it would be ridiculous. He would use it as a get out of jail card, and not learn from it...sad...sad.

Jeff Given

1 - 19 of 19 Posts