Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was reading posts here about a unsecured oil pump, and it had me wondering...
Since ive had my 67 Fairlane, 289, its always had a bit of white-ish shtuff in the oil. ive had the car for years, and its aways done it. The oil pressure after warmup is just shy of 40#'s, but I had asked a guy who was a ase mechanic, and he said some old motors just sweat, dont worry about it.
It isnt alot, but just curious.
I scored a HV melling pump for free and its for a 351w . are they the same? should I worry? No wierd noises, just this chocolate superfine foam. not even sure if its filled with air, I dont think its coolant. What do you think?

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
change to a different oil and try that, but it is nothing to worry about really.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
just this chocolate superfine foam. not even sure if its filled with air, I dont think its coolant. What do you think?
What you are describing is engine oil being diluted by water, either a coolant leak or a defective crankcase ventilation system. When you pull the dipstick, is there a white film at the top of the stick or is there a white film under the breather covers?

·
Premium Member
34,853 Posts
Like kul said, the PCV system is not operating efficiently.

Also, like the ASE mechanic said, it's nothing to worry about. But... Your car is not running as efficiently as it could. Many cars out on the road have inefficiencies that go unrepaired for years.

The white you see is the moisture that your engine produces when it's shut off and the condensation from the air gathers in the upper extremities of your motor, it gathers there becasue that's where the heat is last to leave and that is where vapor travels to and deposits the moisture.

With a properly working PCV system that white would disappear over time.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
thanks guys... the foam is on the edge of the dipstick and on oil fill tube. since I just got it running again, I will change the oil, and I had just recently cleaned out the pcv valve, it jiggled before, but I shot carb cleaner through it any ways. I also have the other end of the pcv breather tube atached to the back port on my edelbrock carb. That's the right place, rite?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts