Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1964 galaxie with a 223ci that is leaking oil from the dipstick. Not from the bottom but from the top, the oil climbs all the way up and leaks from the top were the dipstick comes in. The car runs fine just has little power from a complete stop but once it gets going it runs just fine until the next stop, it accelerates slow again. If it makes a difference it has a cruise o matic trans. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
I had something like that on a slant six Plymouth a good twenty years ago, but then the crankcase was over full.

May have to think about this one some.

Wm.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Have you examined the spark plugs?
Taken a compression check?

Usually only with a large volumne of moving air will oil attempt to travel out a dipstick. Usually when the engine has a blown piston, or excessive blow-by.

I once used eight quarts of oil in a G.I. truck to go 45 miles. It ran OK too, until about one week later when it was found that the top to the piston in number six hole was gone.

Wm.

·
Administrator
21,759 Posts
I'm with FE, check the pcv. I had a pontiac litterally blowing oil out the dipstick tube and thought I was about to park another one in the back 40. Turned out just to be the little filter inside the air filter housing that was clogged up.

·
Registered
825 Posts
On 2006-10-04 19:05, coosbaylumber wrote:

I once used eight quarts of oil in a G.I. truck to go 45 miles. It ran OK too, until about one week later when it was found that the top to the piston in number six hole was gone.

Wm.
sounds like my old 289 before the swap. couldn't go up to the 7-11 without adding a quart of oil every time

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, at the risk of sounding really stupid, I don't have an air filter on the carb because I don't have a housing for this motor or one that fits for that matter. I was driving it with nothing on top of the carburator. Is this the problem? If it is I'm sorry I just don't really know much. Sorry! The carb that I have on the car is from a 6cyl 66 Mustang, but I tried the mustang air filter housing and it won't fit because (1)it hits the valve cover, and (2)there is a hump at the back of the carb that would hit the housing and prevent it from sitting all the way down on to the carb. Anyway, If this is the fix, any suggestions?...ie aftermarket stuff? Thanks!

·
Administrator
21,759 Posts
Get yourself down to the local parts store and buy you an air cleaner. There should be one that fits somewhere. Have you looked at summit etc. I have a 4 bbl carb but they all (I think) have a notch in the area that sits on the carb for the hump that's on those. If not you can cut it in there. There must be something out there. Did the mustang one have an indented area that sits on the carb? Even though 4bbl is different on location I had one that was inverted on the bottom so sat lower and it sat on my linkage. I'm sure autozone should have one for 2bbl.

The reason for needing a filter is to keep the dirt and other debry out of your carb. If a pebble or something gets in there you're going to have a hole in a piston or something awful. Dirt and sand causes excess wear from the grit. I'm guilty myself of driving a car without one ages ago with no ill effects but there is that one time that a person might not be so lucky.
They also have spacers that can be added to raise it up some. But not having a filter wouldn't cause the problem but then someone mentioned it is possible that you have a major problem already if something got in there from not having one. Hope not though. Maybe someone here might have an extra filter housing for yours even.

Pull the pcv out of the valve cover and shake it, if it rattles it should be ok and not the problem. Wish I had a housing for you but don't have anything but the one I had that sits too low.

Deb

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ShotRod64 on 10/6/06 12:05pm ]</font>

·
Registered
144 Posts
Does he even have a PCV system?
My '65 352 just has a dump tube.

RR

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
according to my trusty shop manual, air enters through the vented cap on top of the valve cover and makes its way through the crankcase and is regulated on the back side via a pcv valve, i dont ever remember it on my 233 but it was along time ago. i thought there was a crankcase breather on the pass. side toward the back of the engine but i dont remember.... ah here it is on page 8-31, they show how you can dissasemble the pcv, now heres the important part...

"useing a snap ring retainer tool, remove the snap ring retainer from the end of the regulator valve assy. Remove the valve spring retaining washer. Soak the valve body, spring and valve in solvent as necessary, untill the valve spring can be easily removed WITHOUT DISTORTING THE VALVE SPRING"

or you can probably get one at napa for a ten spot.

good luck

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I hadn't had a chance to check anything out til today. I took some picks of the engine and will try and post them so you guys can see what I am talking about. The valve cover has no openings except for the oil filer hole wich has a cap with no breather or any whole of any kind, its just a metal aftermarket flat solid cap. Where would the PCV be?, or does it have one?

I uploaded one of the pics of the 223 onto the my cars section so you can just click on there and see the pic there. I had no other way of doing it at the moment

FE thanks for that pick, I'll go down to auto zone soon as I can and buy that set up for mine. Thanks!

Any suggestions BoutTime64? Is it still the same process as you described??? Thanks to all!!!

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
Yea, i didnt think i remembered anything on the back, but thats what the book said. Check for a breather tube commin off the rear of the block, pointing down.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts