Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm replacing my power steering pump that I fried while at Willow Spring road course a few weeks ago. I'm adding a Earl's 7 row thin vein oil cooler to the system. I am mounting it to the grill support in a vertical orientation. I can run the fluid through it from top to bottom or bottom to top...do you think one way is better than the other? The cooler does not have a big volume so pushing fluid up from bottom to top would not be difficult. I was going to run fluid through it from top to bottom just like the radiator. Let me know if I should reverse the flow direction. Thanks

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: blkfrd on 5/29/06 10:51pm ]</font>

·
Banned
2,833 Posts
I prefer bottom to top because it pushes the air out. But as long as it's below the pump either way will work.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Shouldn't make any difference, up or down.

Which ever you prefer.

·
Subscriber
329 Posts
When I plumbed my Ear's oil cooler they told me to run it bottom to top. It seems to work fine. I have a horizontally mounted long, narrow P/S cooler which has done its job as well. I felt I needed it as i was pushing fluid out of the pump whn it was hot. It doesn't do that anymore.

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
I say...let gravity do as much of the work as possible. In at the top and pull from the bottom. I have no idea of how much pressure it takes to push against the fluid column, but why add extra work to the power steering pump? The more you make it work, seems like the more heat is developed.

I would wonder more about where in the circuit you splice the line...before or after the piston? High pressure or low.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Beoweolf on 6/2/06 5:46am ]</font>

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
It's not any more work going bottom to top or top to bottom... either way the fluid goes up 12 inches and then back down the hose 12 inches, or vice versa, it equals out to zero net work (the siphoning effect). However, if you mount it to flow top-to-bottom, and the cooler is full of air, then you do work to push the fluid up the hose, and then you don't get that work back because gravity causes it to fall down to the bottom without siphoning the fluid along the way... so not only are you not cooling oil because the cooler is full of air that can't escape, but you are also loosing oil pressure in the process. Definitely flow bottom to top.

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
Just a thought ...

When I installed my "Engine Oil Cooler" ... I installed it with both "in and out" to the top ... any other orientation allows the cooling element to drain when the pump stops ... which means you need some "pump time" to refill the element and regain continuous flow of fluid.

Granted that may not be any big deal on a power steering unit.

But my two cents ... for whatever it's worth.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts