Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OIL COOLER from turbo coupe, SSP, Police Interceptor, CHP
Man, I really like and want this part:

AND

The supposed part # on the above unit is: Ford F53E 6A642 AH
------------------------------------------------------------

I had one on my 1987 CHP mustang, I was REALLY tempted to take it off so I could use it, but

.....that just wouldn't be right!

So now I am trying to find one for myself! Any ideas out there? I know there are probably a few in junk yards out there, but I hear ...tidbits that make me think that I could get one new without TOO much trouble. I have been researching and I will post all of the various part numbers I have come across claiming to be correct. Maybe they are different for the thunderbird turbo coupe, and SSP mustangs... Isn't there also one for a Merkur xr4ti or somethin' like that?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 67fastback on 6/23/06 9:46am ]</font>

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So its a engine coolant to engine oil cooler... Coolant (on our 5.0's at least) is supposed to be right around [email protected] normal operating conditions. The engine oil is MORE so this cooler is supposed to help stabilize tempertures. I read somewhere that you give up [email protected] for [email protected] not a bad exchange
**here are the various #'s I have found**
FORD OIL COOLER SSP POLICE SPECIAL SERVICE COOLANT WATER TO ENGINE OIL COOL
=========================
F67Z 6A642 CA
F4ZZ-6A642-A
IMAGE = http://www.corral.net/images/coolertips.gif
F53E 6A642 AH
**somebody bought a new one for their mazda**
Ford F53E 6A642 AH
Invoice says...
AJ03-14-700A

I don't know if thats just for the cooler, or for the entire towing package.
Item Number List Core Price
AJ0314700A $244.80 $0.00 $220.32
Cooling - Engine oil cooler - Oil cooler assy
Oil cooler assy - 2000-01 2000 – 2001
**this is from our Focus friends**
Svt
YS4G-6A642-AA"
**I would like to buy a few, one for each SBF ive got**

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 67fastback on 6/23/06 9:09am ]</font>

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
AT THE FORD DEALERSHIP
A real kind soul sat down with me and looked up each part number that I had come up with....

we found that:
- F67Z 6A642 CA iS REPLACED WITH F87Z 6A642 CA
(COSTS $1,200 AND WAS STOCK ON 1998-2002 EXPLORER
ALSO IS A BIT DIFFERENT, HOOKING RIGHT UP TO WATER PUMP)

- F4ZZ 6A642 A IS DISCONTINUED 12/19/01

- F53E 6A642 AH IS REPLACED WITH F6RZ 6A642 AF
(THIS IS THE ONE! STILL IN PRODUCTION)

YES F6RZ 6A642 AF IT IS... THIS COOLER COSTING A COOLING $221.63 !!!! NUTS !!!!

damn, Id rathar cut home-made louvers into my hood! #$%^&#%^!!
So what do you think about all this??

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 67fastback on 6/24/06 5:38am ]</font>

·
Registered
81 Posts
There is an old salvage yard around here that had several Turbo Coupes. I yanked more than one off of them, but never used them. Didn't know if they were even worth anything.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Generally there isn't much need for the extra complications of an oil cooler, unless you're going to be going high speeds for a long time (like a highway chase) or turning high RPM for a long time (dirt or road track racers.)

On a street car it's hard to justify using one, because of the potential for leaks. Drag racers run pretty cool, since its just a blast down the strip then an idle back.

Change your oil a few miles earlier on a street car and you'll get the same effect. And it would take a few oil changes to make up for the cost alone.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Didn't know if they were even worth anything
-yeah, apparently $221.63 new (geez!)
And it would take a few oil changes to make up for the cost alone.
-yeah, quite a FEW oil changes at $221.63 (geez!)

Generally there isn't much need for the extra complications of an oil cooler, unless you're going to be going high speeds for a long time (like a highway chase)
-or [email protected]++ temp SoCal summer sitting in freeway traffic with the AC full blast for a few hours at a time?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 67fastback on 6/24/06 9:03am ]</font>

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
Most anyone in the know with the 2.3's will tell you that it's an oil HEATER. One of the biggest problems plagueing the 2.3 turbo engine is the coolant lines that run from the water pump, around the back of the head, above the bellhousing, and to the oil heater (cooler, heater whatever you call it). Those lines are always breaking and they ain't exactly cheap to fix...usually you either have to unbolt the head with manifolds...remove the exhaust manifold with turbo and leave the head and un-do the mounts & move the engine forward, or pull the trans & bellhousing.

Being a former 2.3 guru, I would have to say that I have a bad taste in my mouth for the oil heaters that are factory installed. Way more trouble than they're worth..on a street car. For a high output circle track or road race car, I guess they might reduce oil temps a little, but only if you're forced to use a wet sump. Go to a dry sump and you won't need it. Plus with the dry sump you'll pick up some HP on the top end.....kind of a win-win situation.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts