Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone suggest a source for a timing
chain cover with an oil dip stick hole in it?
Also, can the front dipstick arrangement be
used with AC, power steering and a serpentine
belt?
I am running egual length headers on an 83
Mustang GT and have had to locate the dipstick right where the stock left air cleaner snorkel would be had I not taken it off to clear the dipstick. I would like to
keep the factory twin snorkel rig.
Any advice will be appreciated

Bruce
'83 'stang GT
'89 Tbird

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
If you put the dipstick in the front you will run into another snag, you will have to remove the accessory bracket from the passenger side that holds the alternator and drill a hole in it for the dipstick. This will take a little bit of patient`s, because if you drill in the wrong spot you will have to drill again or make the hole bigger than you want to. As far as the hole in the timing cover, you can drill the cover that is on your car, it has the boss but it is not drilled, you will need to find out the correct drill bit size and make sure you drill at the right angle, you only get one shot at the dipstick hole if you dont want it to leek. I suggest this option because any other front cover with the dipstick hole already in it will be from an earlier car and these covers are a differnt thickness at the bottom bolt area`s and also the seals go in from the back on the old covers, which can be a real hassle if you ever need to change the front seal.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Not for nothing, but what useful information will you get from monitoring the oil level of the front sump on a rear sump pan? The only reason there IS a front sump on a Fox body is to clear the oil pump. Better leave it where it is and maybe route the tube differently, or your motor may pay the price.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Very good point, although there is a small sump in the front of the late model pan all the oil is in the back. Probably not a good idea to put the dipstick in the front.

But now you know how

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks NASTYSTANG and HEMIKILLER. Looks
like I will have to go with plan C,
which is to shorten the tube and dipstick
so that it will fit under the left snorkel.
I've been thinking about fabricating a
hinged mount for the snorkel so that you
could swing it up or forward to pull the dipstick out, as opposed to taking off the
air cleaner to check the oil. Good advice
on the rear sump. I thought of everything,
but I didn't think of that.

Bruce

1 - 5 of 5 Posts