Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I have a crate motor I was using in my Stang until I yanked it out last year, had no problems. I decide to put it in my Falcon recently and it is burning oil bad. It gets worse as rpm rises. At idle its a faint puff, and mostly on the passenger bank. I do not, and did not hear any unusual sounds. Today, I let her idle at work while showing a friend the oil burning smoke. Then I saw oil dripping from the right tail pipe. Also, at the collector flang oil was dripping from the gasket and left about a pint of oil in the parking lot. I keep the oil level up. This is my "just for fun/winter car". I'm thinking I have bad valve seals from sitting for so long. Is there anything else that could cause this much oil to drain from the exhaust?
Thanks,

Bart

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: latamud on 9/21/06 7:52am ]</font>

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
I dont know all that much, but it would only make sense to me that it would have to be a bad exhaust valve seal, otherwise the oil would be burnt rather then running out.

·
Premium Member
34,855 Posts
The exhaust valve seal will leak a pint in about a YEAR, no way in hell it's a bad seal unless there is NO OIL draining down into the pan, AND the PCS is messed up along with a valve stem wobble a quarter inch across...

No sir, what you have is a blown head gasket or a cracked head...

Pull the right bank of plugs to see which is worse, and let us know....

FE

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: FEandGoingBroke on 9/21/06 8:06am ]</font>

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
stuck rings????????
check your compression.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: retyler on 9/21/06 8:07am ]</font>

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The #2 plug was black but the rest of the plugs are dry white. I guess I'm running lean. Cracked head of blown head gasket? I'm hoping for blown head gasket. If I have to replace a head I will have to replace the gasket anyway.

How about blown piston ring/s? I can't check compression right now. I need a tester.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: latamud on 9/21/06 9:06am ]</font>

·
Premium Member
34,855 Posts
If the RINGS were bad the plugs would be shat.

It is possible a retarded machinist got ahold of the heads and damaged the exhaust valves guides... You need to take that head off and inspect it GOOD to see exactly where the oil is coming from. If it is dripping out like you said then there is definitely something wrong that needs to be dealt with.

FE

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
i had a "good" shop build a stroker 351w for me. They must have had a real winner putting it together.. After letting warm up every morning in my driveway for a few weeks I had 2 black big streaks on the ground and it wasnt from the tires. They thought I was running rich with my 650 holley. Wasnt. Compresion checked out ok. Then they thought the seal were bad. Wernt. Took it to someone else to find that the maching or assembly was crap and had to start over with another rebuild. The job was horrible all the way down to to the block selection.

I was blowing a quart about every 100 miles.

BTW: I let them redo there work only for them to forget to clean my scat crank journals after polish. So I had to pull the engine AGAIN. So much for thinking that if they are in a magazine that they are great at what they do... Maybe they are great only on Chevys

1 - 9 of 9 Posts