Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone:

I am new around here and have a couple of questions re: Ford oil filters not being used on a Ford vehicle.

I have picked up an oil filter relocation kit (to go along with an oil cooler installation)- and it utilizes a Ford oil filter (kit is a TD Products unit). I have been led to believe that Ford filters have an internal bypass (by comparison-most GM filters do not- the bypass is typically part of the filter mount assembly).

Is this correct?

Are filters available (genuine Ford or aftermarket) that have the option of not having a built-in bypass?

·
Premium Member
4,416 Posts
Hi Eric
Welcome to the board.The internal bypass it think you are refering is a little valve in the bottom of the filter.It is there to allow oil flow only if the filter is blocked.It shouldn't cause any probs if the oil + filter is changed regularly..H-T-H

·
Registered
57 Posts
The oil filter bypass valve is a good thing. I have a friend who's filter failed and it almost cost him his motor! Had he been using one of these it wouldn't have happened. I herd that a few fram filters failed. Bypass could be a good thing! In cold weather my motorcycle filter goes to bypass for about 1 minute till the oil warms up a bit to pass thru the filter. If not I would have extreme back pressure and no oil or very little in the engine.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is a rather customized application and I am not concerned with how useful the bypass is or not- I do not want one in the oil filter.

Mentioned above- the bypass in the bottom of the filter- is this a bypass you are referring to, or a blowout valve (i.e. when pressure in filter gets too high it releases oil-i.e. externally).

Anyone know of any filters without a bypass (I do not use Fram products anyways- only the OEM products made by Fram to the OEMs specifications- most Fram-branded/labelled filters seem to be poor quality).

·
Registered
166 Posts
don't know, but id rather have slightly dirty oil then none at all. sounds like the bypass is a good idea.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Let me state it again:

A built-in filter bypass is not required or desired.

Consider this an exercise in "thinking outside the box". Does anyone have any information in respect to this?

·
Registered
809 Posts
To my knowledge all automotive engine oil filters have a internal bypass. Without it cold oil would be too restricted to flow and the high oil pressure would tear the filter element.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Try this:

www.cmfilters.com

They make both a spin on filter and a stand alone with replaceable synthetic elements. I have one on my 351C, and it does a great job of cleaning the oil. Never had any oils starvation problems.

·
Registered
166 Posts
just curious, what are you using it for, and specificaly why don't you want the bypass? i think all filters have them because the cold oil is too thick to pass through the filter matireal.
anyway, why don't you want the bypass?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
1) Remote filter
2) Oil cooler
3) Oil changed every 2000 miles
4) Oil pressure monitored with a mechanical guage

As such- the oil path is in a 'closed loop' so oil drainback from filter is not an issue- i.e. filter is always full- so a high pressure surge through an empty filter is not possible and 70psi max. should not be enough to rip a full filter's element.

Maximum [cold] oil pressure in this particular application is 70psi at standard (i.e. not high) volume- controlled by oil pump pressure release- i.e. before oil filter in the flow path.

I do not want oil to bypass the filter based on the quality of the 10 cent bypass valve in the oil filter itself.

·
Registered
291 Posts
O.K., you don't like FRAM but, go to an auto parts store, look in the FRAM "MASTER CATALOG". You will find info about all the diferent sizes and styles and info on with or without bypass. You can then use the interchange tables to convert to the manufacturer of your choice.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts