Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok I am wondering what you opinions are on what is the best oil filter to run, I was planing on going to that dual remote filter setup so I am looking for something that has a small micron traping ability

since I have 2 flow shouldn't be a Problem

·
Registered
314 Posts
Here is a good page by a guy that cut open a bunch of filters and made a layman's comparision. Pretty good reading.
http://www.scuderiaciriani.com/rx7/oil_filter_study/

Based on years of experience (and sort of backed up by the above page) I use nothing but Motorcraft filters in my Ford fleet. 69 Mustang drag car, 89 Mustang Gt vert, 98 Mustang V-6, 01 F350 diesel. The regular FL-1A is still available at Wal-Mart for less than $3. I use Purolator for the cars that I own that Motorcraft does not have a filter for. 93 Honda Civic work car and the wife's 99 Grand Prix.

I do plan on trying a K & N oil filter on the diesel F350 at the next change though. Mainly because the K &N has a nut welded onto the bottom of the case. The Powerstroke Diesel filter is huge + you must get is MUCH tighter than a regular gas burner filter. Figure the nut will will make it easier to deal with.

Later,

David Cole

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dave C on 2/1/02 8:19am ]</font>

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
I also use the Motorcraft FL-1A.
It has always worked great for me.

·
Registered
180 Posts
On the race car I use FL1-HP's. It seems the oil pressure is higher with them compared to with other filters. I don't think it's just my imagination

·
Registered
12 Posts
Now we open a can of worms!!! I have used nothing but fram filters for more than 25 years. I have not had 1 failure during that time. I had been in the automotive field for more than 20 years. My brother who owns and operates a service center in PA has used fram in everthing from forkifts to earth moving equipment. With his experience in heavy equipment repair he has had the opportunity to see the results of differnet engine oils,filters and greases. Most of the fleets he services have been with him for a long time. I guess until I have a bad experience with Fram I will keep using them. I guess it is what you prefer!!

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Hey eacerguy! It's not your imagination. FL-1HP's take a lot more pressure to break open. Kinda pricy. I pain $60 for my System1 & have never had to buy another. She'll take around 300/400 psi... like I can go there!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: qtrmiler on 11/28/04 7:17am ]</font>

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
how small does the FL-1A trap down to though, was looking at some synthetic filters and they are in the 10 micron range trapping all the way down to 5 microns

talk about some clean oil

·
Registered
39 Posts
I use Purolator Pure1 filters. Lately they are not always in stock though, I usually pick one up whenever I see one if I don't have one laying around. Just so I'm sure I'll have one for the next oil change. If need be I'll use a regular Purolator filter.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I've been running the Penzoil filters for a while with no problems, but am open to switch if somebody gives me a good reason to...

·
Registered
627 Posts
The one's that I've used almost exclusively are the Motorcraft
FL-1A and the Delco PF2. We did some quality comparisons
when I was with GM corporate and Wix, Motorcraft and Delco
were the best constructed- taking into account shell, valves
and amount/quality of filter media.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts