Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
Lost an engine 2 times due to faulty oil filters. First was a '74 Chevy pickup I used to own with a mild RV type 355. Used a John Deere filter on it...and I will say JD filter are the worst POS filters ever made on the face of the planet. You might as well just drain all the oil and drive it...be about the same thing. Second time was '82 El Camino w/229" dont-get-in-no-hurry-powerhouse V6. It was a Fram..the only thing I used after the JD filter thing happened. Both times, engine had oil pressure (low, but it had pressure), but after removing the filter, the filter element itself was bone dry...and both times the filter was removed within 5 minutes of running the engine.

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
On 2004-11-27 20:32, strtcar wrote:
I know FRAM sucks, i had problems with them on all my cars. I use FL1A
Fram is the worst you can buy!!!!

I was forced to use a walmart FRAM once on a sunday when NAPA was closed, after 3 days with the FRAM my LS1 oil pressure would jump between 10 and 25psi and was never consistant "something you cant tell with an idiot light on regular vechicles". Changed to a NAPA as fast as I could and problem solved, 40 psi at hot idle like always.

The drain back valve failed in the FRAM.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts