Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My engine compartment is covered in oil. its starting to look like a British car
Its coming out of the drivers side valvecover. i have Moroso baffled grommets, as seen here.

i also have a breather, pictured below, hooked up the the aircleaner.

The PCV valve is on the pass side valvecover. Recently I noticed i am getting a lot of oil in the aircleaner too.
vacuum readings at idle are about 15". The needle has a bit of a fast shake to it.
None of the hoses appear to be kinked. The is also some new oil today on the pass side. it must have come from the dipstick tube. What would build up enough pressure to push that out?

Is this enough information?

1964 Comet 289 C4/3000 stall daily driver
TFS TW, Weiand Stealth, Comp XE268, Rhodes lifters, TFS roller rockers, Carter 625 AFB, Hooker SuperComps
"These go to 11." -This is Spinal Tap

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: dragman64 on 4/23/02 9:06am ]</font>

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also, the passenger side valve cover, with the pcv valve, is clean (well, clean compaired to the driver side).

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hi, hit the enter key to quickly, Anyways, get rid of the breather and plug the hole to see if you can see the problem. If the breather is leaking oil - time for a tighter breather.

Mark

·
Registered
750 Posts
oil in air cleaner prolly just getting sucked in from oil in engine compartment? I busted the ring lands on 3 pistons,which made enough blow by to blow oil out the dip stick tube and breather.Just a thought.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Like Mark said, get rid of the breather. Your PCV isn't doing anything if you are venting through a breather on one side - it requires a "closed" system to work properly. Check your pcv valve at the same time.

With the breather though, you really shouldn't be getting oil spraying out anyway? Are you valve covers baffeled? If not that could be contributing. Just hope its not something serious

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 1965FALCON on 4/24/02 1:54am ]</font>

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got it fixed.
I modified the tin baffle that came with the valve covers with a hole saw and tin snips. That is on the drivers side.
The mystery leak on the passenger side was the valve cover. I tightened down the bolts, and it went away. Still doesnt make sense. I guess the fan would blow it, but it the oil was all over the side, not pushed back like you would think.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts