Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an aftermarket Accel coil and today I pulled the wire from coil to dizzy cap and saw there was an oily/water like substance pooled in the top of the coil where the main wire goes.

I'm assuming this is a bad thing and I should replace the coil but can anyone explain why this is happening or what it means?

·
Premium Member
1,479 Posts
It sounds like it's leaking to me. They are oil filled I understand, so I'd probably trash it and get a new one. Now that I said that, I wonder if they're considered hazardous waste? Whatever........

John

·
Registered
10,342 Posts
It's leaking a (usually) silicone-based oil. It's either abused or defective. If it shows no signs of abuse, and it's under any warranty period, call Accel to see how to exchange it for another. Hopefully, they will arrange a local replacement. That type of failure is fairly rare.

David

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's leaking a (usually) silicone-based oil. It's either abused or defective. If it shows no signs of abuse, and it's under any warranty period, call Accel to see how to exchange it for another. Hopefully, they will arrange a local replacement. That type of failure is fairly rare.

David
It's definitely out of warranty... about 5 years old. I'll call accel and see what they say but I was really wondering if it's working OK should I just put it back and order another but continue to use it till the new one arrives?

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
It's definitely out of warranty... about 5 years old. I'll call accel and see what they say but I was really wondering if it's working OK should I just put it back and order another but continue to use it till the new one arrives?
working ok. how the engine runs will answer your question. thats if there is no other issue

·
Registered
10,342 Posts
Yep, if it's just seeping into the tower and otherwise working fine, use it until the new one arrives. If it leaks noticeably more, then it could overheat internally and quickly fail. In that case stay closer to home or carry/install a cheapo generic spare.

David

·
Registered
10,342 Posts
Ah. I don't use many Accel products, nor personally know many that do, so I can't judge. While I don't like to take internet stories at much value, I'll take your respected word for it. Good to know. Thanks.
:tup:
David

PS: Scott - How long ago did you have these issues?

·
Registered
831 Posts
That's probably what happened, too. Overfill at the factory, hot oil expands, and weeps out...

I've had issues with their wires and a distributor, too, hence may boycott....

PSIG, probably 25 years ago... Granted, they've probably have gotten better by now... with all of the competition out there, they'd have to or they'd go out of business...

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
PSIG, probably 25 years ago... Granted, they've probably have gotten better by now... with all of the competition out there, they'd have to or they'd go out of business...
Does anyone know where they are made? I remember 30+ years ago Accel was one of the few ignition upgrades available. Lots of guys put in the coil but I don't recall talk of them leaking. I wonder if maybe they are now made off shore and if so, could be part of the problem?

·
Registered
780 Posts
My Accel coil failed after about a week of use. It was mounted upright on the fender.

Luckily I was a few blocks away from a Kragen. Bought a cheap coil and swapped it out on the side of the road and drove home.

Replaced it with an MSD Blaster, no problems since.

Oil leaking from my coil would make me nervous. I'd replace it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts