Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Programmer
856 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm building up a 351w engine and since it is going in my '66 stang, it will have to have a front sump oil pan. Should I install a baffle in it so the oil stays up front more, when i'm going down the track?

Chris

·
Registered
3 Posts
Chris,
If this helps, I have a boss 302 windage tray in the 302 in my '70 Maverick and have
so far not had any problems with pressure loss at the track. Milodon has a front sump pan with a baffle already in it and it looks like a stock pan from the outside.
I also have a windage tray + baffled pan in my '70 Torino 429scj and likewise have never had a pressure loss. A friend, however
has no baffles / tray in his 460 Torino and is always losing pressure under hard acceleration.
Perhaps you could use both for an extra
measure of insurance? Sure couldn't hurt!

·
Programmer
856 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you guys. That was a good read, too, 89 coupe. I now know i will not be using a stock pan...

Chris

·
Registered
355 Posts
I bought the FMR front sump pan and welded my own baffles in it. Baffles that require a little jimmying when installing around the pickup, but will force enough oil to stay around the pump to avoid cavitation. Even at 1.5-2 G's. If I had known about the front sump stock depth baffled oil pan before I did this, I might have forked over the extra $100 to get it premade. Or not.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
I am using the Canton 7 1/2 quart pan, and has baffles built in to keep the oil where the pickup is, and the fit is good.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts