Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to get a new oil pan gaset for my 96 Explorer 5.0. According to Rock Auto, for the Explorer it is FEL-PRO OS34508R for $16.68. However to lets say 78 Granada with 302, it calls for FEL-PRO OS13260T for $28.79.

My Explorer 5.0 will have a steel front sump oil pan. The Explorer's did come with cast aluminum rear sump oil pan.

What is the difference between the two?

Which one do I need?

Thanks

Waid

·
Premium Member
2,867 Posts
Waid,

I'm not sure what the part # is? But, I like the 1 piece felpro with the steel washers in it.
I have still had to use a thin layer of RTV to prevent leaks, even after making sure the pan surfaces are straight.

I get them through Autozone.

·
Registered
10,315 Posts
Waid, there are two kinds of oil pan gaskets based on early/late. 1985 was the last year of the early pans, and 1986 was the first year of the late-style. The early pans have rounded corners at the timing cover and real seal corner area. The late pans have sharper corners in the same spot. This is what causes leaks when you change pans from one style to the other without also changing gasket type.

If you just want a gasket, then use the correct one for the year pan you have. If you want a reusable rubber type, then the late pans can use the factory gasket (Explorer type) and older pans like the front-sumps need to use an aftermarket version (such as Fel-Pro) that seals with those rounded corners. In other words, since the factory never made a 1-piece rubber gasket for the front-sumps, it's either a normal multi-piece gasket or aftermarket, such as the OS13260T you listed. I hope that makes sense.

David

1 - 4 of 4 Posts