Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my old oil pan's drain plug threads are completely stripped, so i picked up a new pan this week. I've never installed one before and was just wondering if this is some a novice like myself should attempt.

any suggestions/tips etc would be great

thanks guys

·
Registered
336 Posts
I would use carby cleaner or like to clean the surfaces and seal the gasket to the engine block then a nother smear of light sealer around the gasket and when its tacky lift the pan up.DO not over tighten!

·
Premium Member
827 Posts
You could use the one piece Felpro gasket that has the bushings in each of the bolt holes. That way you can't over tighten it. This one piece gasket seals much better than the 4 piece one. Little more money but certainly worth it.

·
Premium Member
883 Posts
I hate the multi-piece stock gaskets. My friend with a 350 chevy uses the one piece and he never has leaks anymore. Also you don't smash the gasket. Even when I torque them to spec I still seem to get some gasket smash.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok. I got the oil pan unbolted...had to unbolt the starter in the process. But I have quickly realized that I have to take out the steering linkage as well. I guess that was something I should've realized earlier....but I thought I could slip the pan out without having to remove it. Well....I was wrong...and here's the thing. I have no idea how to disconnect the steering linkage...and I doubt that I have the tools. Can anyone give me step by step/tools needed type instructions? I'm gonna try and find a buddy to help me...but I need to get this stuff finished while I'm back from school.
Thanks guys

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
Lower oil pan and reach inside it and remove the two bolts retaining the oil pump and pickup tube to the engine block Lower the pump assembly into pan and remove with pan. Turning the crank to get the pork chop out of the way may be required for clearance.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There's only about 2-3 inches of room for me to get my hand in there to unbolt the oil pump. Problem is I cant see inside. If I am able to get the pump off I'm going to have to reinstall it with the new pan in place...which will make it really difficult. Can I remove the steering arm with hand tools? It looks like I can just take out the pin in the ball joint and seperate it with a pickle fork. Is that all there is to it? Needless to say I am a beginner at this stuff.
thanks

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
If you loosened the motor mounts and jacked the engine up would that give you enough room?

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
I had to unbolt the fwd sway bar, unbolt the engine mounts and jack the engine up in order to get oil pump off to get the pan off, it also makes reinstallation of the oil pump alot easier.
(just don't do what I did and forget to install the oil pump before putting the new pan on LOL!)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.