Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

This is my first post here as I am about to become the proud new owner of a 63 Galaxie convertible! I take possession of the car on Wednesday but I already know that there is a pretty severe oil pan gasket leak. The engine is presumed to be a 390 but possibly a 352.

I see from the pictures of the car that I took that there is a cross member directly under the oil pan but it looks like it can be unbolted....maybe.

Has anyone had any experience in dropping an oil pan on one of these engines in a 63' that they would like to share? Can it be done without pulling the engine?

Thanks in advance for any advise you can give me!!

Rob

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Before you go through the trouble of pulling the pan are you sure the leak is there? Could be valve covers or the back of the intake to name a few places.
Not sure at all. Can't be sure until I can get under there and get a really good look. I did look at the manual and it says to pull the starter and rotate the crank for clearance. Has anyone actually done this? Is it possible to remove the pan while the engine is in the car? I tried to remove the pan on a 400 CID in a 76 wagon about 20 years ago and I remember it being impossible.

Is it possible to pull the oil pan on a 352/390 in a 63 Galaxie while the engine is still in the car? If so, do you have to remove the cross member for clearance? And if you do remove the cross member, what problems/challenges will that cause?

Thanks again for any advise/help you can give.

Rob

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
My 63 fastback was impossible. Mainly becasue of the little bump out on the back of the intake manifold for the PVC hose to connect to.
It prevented me from getting that last little bit I needed to get the pan off, as I could not raise the engine any higher. I spent a day and a half fooling with it on an off. Finally pulled the engine.
Some manage to get it off. I was close. I even loosened up the trans mounts. If you look on the back of you manifold and it has a bump out for the PVC to connect, at least for me, it hit the firewall and was the deal breaker.

Now it is being rebuilt. Beware!

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Yes, I have done it. You do have to remove the oil pump after you drop the pan down. Let fall into the pan and then it will come out with engine jacked up. Oh, and the crossmember is welded in and non-removable.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Before you go through the trouble of pulling the pan are you sure the leak is there? Could be valve covers or the back of the intake to name a few places.
If you haven't already done it, I would clean up the motor with degreaser, dry it and make sure the leak is not coming from higher up.

I pulled the pan in my '64 Convertible a few months ago ( I don't know how similar or different the '63 is ), and I used some plywood strips under the motor mounts after using a piece of plywood to jack up the motor from the pan and loosen the motor mounts. I also had to remove the sway bar. Yes the crossmember is welded in, but you should be able to clear it. You may also have to unbolt the oil pump, so make sure not to lose the distributor drive shaft.

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Dropped the pan on my 427 with no problem. Did not jack engine up. Although you are "supposed" to remove the oil pump, I was able to wiggle the pan out by removing one oil pump bolt and just loosening the other. Took a bit of wiggling and spinning the pump but it worked and you only have one bolt to start when tightening the oil pump.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts