Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first classic car. 1970 ranchero gt 429 7.0L. I was wondering when I refill the oil do I put oil in both sides of the V8 or is one side good? Also, the oil fill cap has a line running off of it to the carb. What is this and do I have to use it. Lastly, the oil plug has the nylon washer is it normal for it not to be able to tighten completely? It doesnt leak since I put the new one on but it still has no end for tightening. Thanks for any help.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Just one side, it all goes to the same place.(in the pan)
Yes you need the line.
Sounds like a stripped pan, but if its not leaking leave it for next time, (BUT keep an eye on it, dont want it falling out anytime soon while driving) then get an "oversized" repair plug. (avail at any auto parts store)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks FE. What is the line for and why isnt there one for the other side or should there be? o_O

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Its for the PCV system, it draws contaminated air out of the top end of the engine, and is only needed on one side, as vacuum is vacuum all enclosed in the engine. Only time you MIGHT see 2 hoses (one on each side) is for drag / racing cars, and its not a PCV system in the sense that they are designed, its an evacuation system that the hoses are hooked to the exhaust system on each side. (in the header collector) Causing a "draw" of the air out of the engine.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Being a 70 model, the other oil fill cap should have a hose connecting to the air cleaner housing for fresh air inlet for the PCV System. It has to breathe.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow. Thank you very much! I appreciate all the help. Hopefully I can offer assistance one day.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yea, one side has the cap (that doesnt fit very well) and the other side has an air filter type cap. Im trying to find and order a cap that fits better but so far havent been able to find one. Think I might try some local places. Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Look for MOTORCRAFT or STANT for quality. With all of the junk out there now in box stores, it is easier (for me anyways) to find quality parts online.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was looking at that cap. So this cap would be the intake. Correct?

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
I was looking at that cap. So this cap would be the intake. Correct?

It will service either side. There is a rubber grommet that inserts to accept either the PCV valve or plastic elbow.

The above ILL/diagram is 1973. You may either have a filler cap or large rubber grommet where the fresh air intake is.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Im going to get one and hopefully it fits better. The one now just "plugs" in not very well. Will let you know. Thanks for the info and help!

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
The cap has a seal @ the bottom and the fit must be tight as it will allow outside air ingestion, throwing off the fuel ratio and/or spit oil fumes/oil mist over the engine.

And you are quite welcome... :)

·
Premium Member
5,581 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts