Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well gettin down to the small stuff on this engine install. Where do I place the sensors for the oil pressure and water temp and what kind do I use? I will be getting some autometer gauges and I was wondering what sending units do I use and where do I purchase them. I know the oil pressure sending unit goes on the block somewhere, is the port behind the manifold better or is the one near the timing chain cover the best? (This is on a 429) Also where is the best place for the water temp sending unit, in the water outle t gooseneck on on the manifold.

sorry so long,

Thanks,

Greg Havemann:-?

·
Registered
359 Posts
I generaly try to put the oil pressur towards the back of the block, although this gives a lower reading because it is farest away from the pump it also warns sooner of inpending doom

I would say put the temp in the manifold somewhere near the back, it keeps form haveing to run it all the way to the front of the motor

·
Premium Member
4,402 Posts
I always run the oil pressure line in the port behind the manifold.Steer clear of the plastic line in the autometer kit.I go to a proper high pressure nylon tube ,3/16",with a sleeve up the tube so the olives crimp on properly.
For the water sender there are usually a couple of ports around the front of the manifold you can use but i use the one beside the little water bypass hose to the W.P.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
You don't say if the gauges are mechanical or electrical but either way everything you need should be included with the gauges.I've had several sets of the mechanical ones and no problems with the hardware.Just don't over tighten the little nut on the oil line if its the mechanical type.

·
Registered
672 Posts
If you got the electric guages, the sending unit for the oil pressure is a little big. About 1-1/2" around I think. Just something to think about. I have my water temp sending unit in the port towards the front. The oil pressure is right next to the fuel pump block off plate. The sending unit was a little too big, so I plugged the line until I got an electric fuel pump, now there is a block off plate, so the sending unit fits.

If it is the mechanical guages, pop for the braided lines. I had a mechanical oil pressure gauge in before, and the plastic line broke. It shot oil everywhere, including the brake pedal (not fun.)

·
Registered
146 Posts
If you buy autometer oil and water gauges each gague comes with a matching sending unit(and a bunch of little adapters to fit your app) the oil pressure sending unit from autometer is the same size at the stock sending unit on a sb ford that uses a gague (as opposed to an warning light).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts