Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
have a 351 w .30 over had heads replaced recently (went to ported polished rocker rollerguide plates) and noticed that my oil pressure has decreased from 65 psi to [email protected] mph
car has 10000 miles since the rebuilt, changed heads because of a poor valve job 1st time around. using only 20-50 synthetic since the breakin. car is running better than ever
any reason to be concerned and what should the pressure be running
thanks
ron

·
Registered
66 Posts
the oil pressure for my 351W runs between 30&60,but also depends on the rpm you are running at 80mph and your actual oiling system but doesn't seem to be a big concern as 45psi is still plenty.

·
Registered
355 Posts
That doesn't explain why the pressure dropped with just head work. Are you using the same oil before and after? What else changed? Could your rockers be allowing more oil through than the previous rockers?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
USING THE SAME OIL ALSO UPGRADED TO ROLLER ROCKERS GUIDE PLATES AND LARGER RODS

·
Registered
72 Posts
Is the oil pressure still 65 at some point?

I had a similar problem with my 5.0. About 50 psi at idle, and 25-30psi at 2000 rpm.

The engine was older ('8
so I'm in the process of a rebuild. When it was torn down, the bearings all looked fine. Only had to polish the crank... I think it was the oil pump... Maybe something went thru that wasn't supposed to... That could happen with a head replacement....

Or, if the larger push rods have a larger id, that would flow more oil, causing less back pressure?!?

I'm no expert.... So take it with a grain of salt!

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
This may be off the wall, but when you do a head job it can be difficult to keep all the crap out of the valley area, maybe something got down to the pan and has partially blocked the pickup.

Dont mean to stress you out but **** happens, I know because stranger **** has happened to me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts