Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Primed the oil system using a drill motor, 20 lbs. Seemed low but some oil was making it to the heads. Not a lot but some. Fired motor up, gauge showed 35 lbs at 2000 - 5000 rpm with no variance. Melling M83HV pump, 30 wt Castrol.

Changed oil & filter to 50wt Kendall, no change in pressure at all. Using a Summit gauge (purchased before I saw tech dept article) so suspected gauge. Picked up an Autometer gauge, no change. Using braided steel line from block to gauge.
Changed out pump to Sealed Power 83HV. Spun pump with same drill (800 rpm +/-), 40 lbs on the gauge. Cool, life is good.

One more check - pull valve covers and spin up pump again. No oil at rockers after 5 minutes. Remains of oil from when the motor ran last.

I am at a loss. Where's my oil going? When I changed out the pump I also pulled front cover to check for a leaky galley plug but found none. No oil from bellhousing area so confident rear plugs are good.

With 40lbs on the drill I would feel confident in starting this engine again but with no oil at the rockers I am reluctant.

Engine details:
351W +.030, KB pop ups, stock rods w/ full float & polished on beams, ARP main & head studs, 8 qt Moroso front sump with matched pickup, World Rousch 200 heads, Price Motorsport intake adapter plates, modified Wieand tunnel ram, Enderle Bugcatcher injection, custom gound cam from local grinder, Howards solid lifters, Crane roller rockers, Manley valves, 1.55" Crane springs.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Murff on 8/3/06 10:00am ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Murff on 8/3/06 10:01am ]</font>

·
Registered
120 Posts
Sounds like the original pump had a stuck open bypass valve. Dont know whats up with the no oil upstairs - have you tried turning the motor a bit by hand (wrench) and prelubing again? Could be just a fluke related to lifter position...

Barry R.
survivalmotorsports.com

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had not turned the motor but it seemed like such a logical test I just ran out and did exactly that. Even turned motor by had 3 complete revs while showing 40 lbs, nothin'.

Good idea tho'.

·
Registered
728 Posts
you didn't forget to put the freeze plug in the back of the block under the intake did you?

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
On 2006-08-02 22:00, BLstangin wrote:
you didn't forget to put the freeze plug in the back of the block under the intake did you?
X2

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Back of the block, yes. Under the intake? Two of them? I guess I am unaware of those. Don't recall any 'extra' holes. Where are these plugs located? Front and back in the lifter galley?

Is a pain to yank this intake setup but is more of a pain to break it due to lack of oil.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
And all of the oil galley plugs in the front are accounted for?
I assume the rear is good or you'd have a garage full of oil.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm with BLstangin,
I had the little freeze plug in the back of the block under the intake blow out. Lost most of my oil pressure.
10 cent part about cost me an engine.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, seems to be a consensus. I guess I was either unaware of the plugs under the intake, or just plain did not notice them. I sure have no recollection of them at all. Of course I assembled the long block over a year ago. Or it could be that I'm just paralyzed from the neck up.

But now let me ask this. Having 40 lbs while spinning on a drill seems pretty like good pressure. If one or both of those plugs were loose or not there wouldn't my pressure be less and then start to fall of rather rapidly?

Another local racer suggests firing it up and checking rockers after it has run for 60 - 120 seconds.

Don't mean to sound argumentative or anything but pulling this intake with the injection and these adapter plates is a little bit more of an undertaking than whipping off a Victor with the carb attached.

Further thoughts?

Murff

·
Registered
9 Posts
My car made about 30 lbs of pressure cold, when it warmed up, it dropped to about 5. This was at idle.
I'm just wondering if the plug popped out like mine.

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
Any restrictors used? What kind of solid lifters? Who's? Bushed lifter bores? Lifter bore's checked? Cam plate installed correctly? What kind of oil filter? used one? Taking pressure reading from the front or back of block?

The more info the better the chance of figuring it out.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, some of this was in the original post but here are your specific answers.
No restrictors.
Howards Cams solids with oil hole in face
No lifter bore bushings
Lifter bore size not checked (no slop on original install of lifters, no reason to suspect)
Wix oil filter (new)
Comp Cams roller thrust bearing (installed correctly)
Pressure reading from drivers side front (stock location)

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
I would guess you would see some reduction from the lifters.

·
Registered
728 Posts
There is only one plug under the intake, it's on the back, right where the back of the intake seals to the block, something around 3/4 size I believe, it's been a while since I've done one. The oil passage comes up to the plug from the main galley, and then goes out each way to the lifters, so if the plug is out, you'd still have some oil pressure, but all the oil to feed the lifters would be running out between the bottom of the intake and the block and just running back to the pan.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
BLstangin -

That is about the most concise answer I have seen here yet. Thank you.

What you say makes perfect sense and I would be ripping the top of the motor apart right now if oil pressure was lower or fell off by even 5 -10 lbs after a few minutes.

I think what I'm going to do is fire it up, let it run for just a minute or two and if I don't see oil in copious amounts on my rockers I will shut 'er down & yank the intake.

Something like a galley plug in an internal location is about all I can think of that could cause this type of condition. If this was a little bit more of a plain jane type of engine I probably would have had it out and apart by now. Fact is I'm getting a bit worn out by all the late nights spent working on this car. The wife and I really want to race this year but at the same time we don't want to scatter our time and money all over the driveway before we even get to the track.

Thanks for your help. I'll post findings when I know them.

Murff

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok. For those of you that suggested the galley plug in the engine under the intake...... A box of cigars for you all!

You were spot on. I fired the motor, pressure sat at 40 lbs, no oil to rockers. Wound the intake and plates off and sure as sh** there was a big ol' hole where there shouldn't be.

My hat is off, my praise is high, I can't say enough. And I feel pretty sheepish for building something as snotty as this motor is only to miss something as basic as this.

Thanks again.

Murff (slinking off to the parts store)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Murff on 8/4/06 8:52am ]</font>

·
Registered
728 Posts
Glad I could help, and glad the problem is found and has a easy solution. Good luck with the break in.

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
Glad you sloved the problem.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts