Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Oh man, everyone beat me to it! By a few days...

When I rebuild any Ford smallblock, I was taught to stake that specific plug with a punch, to keep exactly that from happening. The HV pumps specifically can build enough pressure to pop it out!

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Ok -

Lit that sucker up tonight - 45 lbs on the starter, snapped up to 70 lbs at 2000 - 3000 rpm. Dropped down to 65 at idle (1700 rpm). And yes, I did stake that plug based on your post, King.

I don't mean to sound like I'm bragging but I spend quite a bit of time at the drags and get to hear quite a few engines in all sorts of combinations and this little .030 over 351 is about the nastiest sounding sbf I have heard. My nephew just picked up an Ohio Crankshaft 434" sbc short block and put his Dart heads on it and dropped it all into his '37 Chev sedan. This little Windsor sounds every bit as badass as his stroker - and that all steel '37 runs 10.50's.

I'm beginning to like this little Falcon more and more.

Murff

·
Registered
2 Posts
Bringing this one back from the dead. This is the most logical thing that sounds like the problem I am having with my 87 van with 351w. Does anyone have any pictures of this plug? I read elsewhere on this forum that there are two plugs at the front that may cause the same problem?
I have replaced my main bearings and my oil pump and still have oil pressure drop to 10 psi at idle when the engine warms up.

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
The galley plug mentioned is found on the RH center of the below pic--it is the silver cup looking thing:

The other plugs that you mentioned are under the upper timing gear, under the timing cover.

·
Registered
2 Posts
OK, I took the intake off and put the drill on the pump. I have 45 psi of pressure on the guage, but not much oil coming through the lifters. I haven't taken a valve cover off yet, plan to do that Friday. The oil galley seen in the above picture seems to be fine. I suspect it may be one of the two in the timing cover. Does this seem reasonable to assume? If that isn't it I guess I will have a van for sale. :(

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
well your not going to get oil up to the rockers with the engine off as the lifters need to be moving to pump it up there. thats all the advice i have and be careful

also I dont know if this is true or not but people always told me, when your engine loses OIL psi and everything is working in the oiling system it may be cam bearings as those generate your oil PSI dont know if its true or not just something i heard can anyone help me with this one?

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
I can get oil to my rockers when the motor is not running by turning the oil pump CCW with a drill and an old distributor with the lower gear removed. To get flow to all the rockers, I turn the crank 1/4 turn every 30 seconds or so. The oil does not squirt, but just pools up in the rocker. In my case, I have a solid rocker, but a hydraulic works the same.

Cam bearings and main bearings both have a large effect on oil pressure.

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
just turning the pump by hand with a speed wrench should get 70/80 psi. sure you got all gearing clearences right

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
Just for everyone immense pleasure I must say this.

When I prime my engines for any reason whatsoever, I alway's spin the motor while priming it.
Did Murff approve this message.......:D

21 - 33 of 33 Posts