Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. So we are to the point of priming motor after a complete rebuild. We are only getting 25 PSI. Is this ok, where should it be? Any input is appreciated...as always! Thanks.

Oh yeah,Motor is a 352.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Try rotating the engine as you prime and note any changes in pressure readings...just to make sure you don't have a perfect storm of leak points lined up. Like the first response mentioned, the speed of your drill will make a difference in readings. Lotsa drills will spin at 1200 to 1500 RPM (without a load, however)...which translates to twice that RPM for the engine since the engine turns twice for every dizzy rev. So if your drill is spinning that fast, I would expect to see alot more pressure. We are talking 2400 to 3000 engine RPM here. But I would not be too worried about your pressure readings IF the drill is really laboring to spin the pump. From my experience, I've seen upwards of 40 to 50 PSI during the priming process...but I've got a big ol' 1/2" drive monster drill.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
also....he said that he is getting a lot of oil up to the the top of motor so he doesn't think that the oil galley plug is missing, if so he wouldn't be getting oil up there.....

·
Premium Member
6,076 Posts
He is using a 3/8 drill at about 1000 rpm
I used a 1/2" (6.3 amp) and got 60 psi IIRC.
Your 3/8" drill is probably a 3 amp, so 25 psi looks correct, I'd say you are good to go.

·
Premium Member
6,076 Posts
What kind of mufflers are you going with? I have glass packs and really enjoy pulling out into the street with people standing around. In the rear view mirror you can see them nodding and smiling.. yeah boy...

Good idea to drive it around and enjoy for a while. Soon enough you will be thinking of where to drop your next $2,000.

Tom

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What kind of mufflers are you going with? I have glass packs and really enjoy pulling out into the street with people standing around. In the rear view mirror you can see them nodding and smiling.. yeah boy...

Good idea to drive it around and enjoy for a while. Soon enough you will be thinking of where to drop your next $2,000.

Tom
Yeah! That sounds gooood, I can't wait to be doing that!! I am going with the flowmaster 40 series. There was a video on here of a 63 I think, loved the sound of it, so I decided to go that route! Still having some issues with the oil pressure, my friend is making a call to the machine shop that just rebuilt motor.....will keep you posted.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.