Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Chalk this one up to piss poor research. I pulled my crank to have the rod journals cleaned up. I have a new Milodon HP/HV pump to install and it won't fit. It won't line up because hits the main cap studs. The studs are longer than stock to allow for the main stud girdle. I already have the pick-up and pump shaft to match. I have attached a few pictures for reference. Any body ran into this before?

Attachments

·
Registered
771 Posts
My 302 Girdle had a smaller diameter 12pt nut and the girdle was made for the nut to recess in. I believe I still had to clearance the pump slightly to clear everything. Never had a problem yet.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My 302 Girdle had a smaller diameter 12pt nut and the girdle was made for the nut to recess in. I believe I still had to clearance the pump slightly to clear everything. Never had a problem yet.
I was thinking I might try to grind on the housing a little to see if I can make it fit. I'm not sure how thick it is though...It doesn't work anyway so I might as well try it.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Cut the stud down so its flush with the nut and do a little clearancing on the body. I cut down the stud on every dart block I build. Common practice

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cut the stud down so its flush with the nut and do a little clearancing on the body. I cut down the stud on every dart block I build. Common practice
I'm not positive, but I think after I put the girdle on there isn't much stud left. I will have to check when I get the crank back in and put it all back together. I'll cut off whatever's left and grind on the pump a little. Hopefully I can make it fit.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
The Hi Volume pump is also the problem, the body is taller. Why the Hi Volume pump also?
No good reason...The guy who balanced my bottom end recommended it. He might have just had it setting around his shop. You think a regular pump would clear the stud and girdle? I know hi pressure can be a problem, but what's the down side to hi volume?

I see in your sig that you own Ford Strokers. I've read nothing but good things around the forums about your engines. What pump would you recommend for my 393w?

·
Registered
10,300 Posts
get rid of the girdle . does'nt do anything anyway
That's not true. It won't help the engine hold together, but it does help keep most of the parts in one general pile when it lets-go. It's primary purpose is to speed track-side cleanup.

David

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
it does help keep most of the parts in one general pile when it lets-go.
Now I don't care who you are, that right there is funny!

It seems like I have spent money on things that are either not compatible or unnecessary. Live and learn I guess...:frown:

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
That's not true. It won't help the engine hold together, but it does help keep most of the parts in one general pile when it lets-go. It's primary purpose is to speed track-side cleanup.

David
I was going to say that . thats what I tell the them here local , just didn't want to say blow up or anything in that context . Guy with a new motor doesn't like hearing that kind of talk . when I do say it (face to face) -- always funny , except to the one that owns it .

·
Registered
841 Posts
get rid of the girdle . does'nt do anything anyway
Being that I'm amassing parts for a 460 build, I was planning on getting that Trick Flow girdle. Why doesn't it do anything? On the higher HP 4cyl builds I have done (over 800hp) this is SOP. I'm planning on a turbo 460 in the 700-800hp range. I'm just curious.

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
Being that I'm amassing parts for a 460 build, I was planning on getting that Trick Flow girdle. Why doesn't it do anything? On the higher HP 4cyl builds I have done (over 800hp) this is SOP. I'm planning on a turbo 460 in the 700-800hp range. I'm just curious.
girdle are made for ease of install , does nothing to keep main bores round or take the load of the main web . gain more by maching caps for straps

1 - 13 of 13 Posts